Fwd: [JGSGB-Announce] DNA & Jewish Genealogy - Sun, Mar 30 at 11:00 & 1:30 - Temple Emanuel, Newton

Joanne Saltman

Feb 25, 2014, 9:50:08 AM2/25/14
to WMJGS group
another meeting which may be of interest

Sunday, March 30, 2014

11:00 am & 1:30pm

  Temple Emanuel, Newton, MA

Bennett Greenspan, president and founder of FamilyTreeDNA, will give two presentations on the use of DNA for Jewish genealogy research. FamilyTreeDNA is a leading resource for genetic DNA research and education, and genetic testing can be a valuable tool in the Jewish genealogist’s toolbox.

You may attend either or both sessions.
Optional lunch: $20 - Reserve your lunch now.

11:00 am - Understanding, Interpreting, and Using DNA Results

Greenspan will discuss the three different types of DNA tests—Y, Mitochondrial, and Autosomal—including what results look like, what they mean, and what to do next once results are received. He will explain what is typical for a Jewish person to see, what is not, and what the “typical” result for an Ashkenazi or Sephardi Jew will usually look like.

12:30 pm - Optional:  Lunch - Reservations required - Advance payment of $20

Enjoy a kosher buffet lunch of cold cuts and vegetarian dishes catered by The Butcherie.
The Temple does not permit people to bring their own food from outside.

1:30 pm -   Haplogroups: What are They and What They Mean for Jews

DNA testing also tells us what haplogroup—the branch of the tree of mankind on which one descends—we each belong to. As romantic as it is to presume that all our ancestors stood at Mt. Sinai, in truth only some of our ancestors were Jews 3200 years ago. Our haplogroup can tell us about our most distant ancestors and even give us an idea of when our ancestors became Jews. It may also give us clues as to where our ancestors joined the Jewish people. The lecture will deal primarily with Ashkenazim, both males and females.

Small Group Meetings at 12:30 - 1:20 pm

Ask the Experts - U.S. research and resources

Special Interest Groups

Litvak-Baltic SIG  NEW!  - contact litvak...@jgsgb.org
Bessarabia SIG - contact bessa...@jgsgb.org
Poland SIG - contact pol...@jgsgb.org

Temple Emanuel
385 Ward Street
Newton Centre, MA

Admission is free for members, $5 for guests.

A flyer in PDF format is available.
Please print and post.

Upcoming Programs

Wed, Mar 12  7:30 pm at Hebrew College
Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern on The Golden Age Shtetl
General Admission: $10.  Free to JGSGB members.  Reserve your place now.

Sun, Apr 20    1:30 pm at Temple Emanuel
Speaker TBA, originally-scheduled speaker postponed.
Spotlight Talk:  Phyllis & Hersch Clopper, Our Recent ShtetlSeeker Tour to Lithuania

Sun, May 18   1:30 pm at Temple Emanuel
Daniel Soyer on Landsmanshaftn: Jewish Hometown Societies in the New World

Inline image 1

Facebook Logo Join JGSGB on Facebook. Find out about upcoming programs and events via RSS Feeds: JGSGB Programs    Community Events

http://lists.jgsgb.org/mailman/options/jgsgb-announce/js24saltman%40gmail.com

--
Joanne