an upcoming event worth attending

Joanne Saltman

Aug 28, 2015, 8:53:07 PM8/28/15
to WMJGS group

Steve Morse Event - October 10, 2015

Event Schedule

8:30 Registration Begins (complimentary coffee and pastry available)

9:00
 Introductions by Fred Zimnoch, President of PGSMA and Stas Radosz, Executive Director of The Polish Center of Discovery and Learning at Elms College

9:15 One-Step Webpages: A Potpourri of Genealogical Search Tools (approx. 75 minutes, plus Q&A)
The One-Step website started out as an aid for finding passengers in the Ellis Island database. Shortly afterwards it was expanded to help with searching in the 1930 census. Over the years it has continued to evolve and today includes about 200 web-based tools divided into 16 separate categories ranging from genealogical searches to astronomical calculations to last-minute bidding on e-bay. This presentation will describe the range of tools available and give the highlights of each one.

10:45 One-Step Webpages: A Hodgepodge of Lesser-Known Gems (approx. 45 minutes, plus Q&A)
This is a sequel to the Potpourri talk. There are too many utilities on the One-Step website to be covered in a single talk, so many of them found their way to the cutting room floor when the Potpourri talk was being edited. However several of those are quite useful. This talk describes those gems that you might not otherwise be aware of. They range from problems with genealogical searches to problems with identity theft to problems with DNA.

12:00 Lunch Break (lunch available on-site for nominal cost)

12:45 PGSMA Brief Business Meeting (minutes, finances, elections, new business, raffle)

1:30 From DNA to Genetic Genealogy: Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask (approx. 75 minutes, plus Q&A)
The study of genetics that started with Gregor Mendel's pea experiments in 1865 has now entered the genealogy field with Megan Smolenyak's coining of the term "genetealogy" in 2000. To understand the genealogical aspects requires an understanding of some of the basic concepts. This talk introduces genes,
chromosomes, and DNA, and goes on to show how DNA is inherited. That knowledge of inheritance can be used for finding relatives you didn't know you had, learning about your very distant ancestors and the route they traveled, and determining if you are a Jewish high priest (Kohan). Examples presented include Genghis
Khan's legacy, the Thomas Jefferson affair, and the Anastasia mystery.

2:45 Genealogy Beyond the Y Chromosome: Autosomes Exposed (approx. 45 minutes, plus Q&A)
Classical genetic genealogy deals with the Y chromosome and the mitochondrial DNA. The Y chromosome test is for males only and traces the direct male lineage. The mitochondrial DNA test is for everybody and traces the direct female lineage. Recent advances in genetic genealogy make it possible to trace all lineages by testing the autosomes.

Registration Information and FAQ’s

How may I register and pay for this event? If you are a PGSMA member, you may either (1) register and pay on-line through the link provided above, or (2) use the registration form mailed to you on 7/9/2015 and pay by check through the mail.  If you are not a member, ticket sales are online only beginning 7/19/2015.

What is the cost of a ticket? Tickets for current members are $10. Non-members tickets are $20. We are asking members with outstanding dues for 2015 to please bring their memberships up to date.

How do I know if my membership is up to date for 2015? Please see the registration form mailed to you on 7/9/2015. You will find your current contact information, membership type, and dues status.  If you have any questions about your membership, please contact us at PGSM...@yahoo.com.

Is there a deadline for registering? Tickets will be available until this event sells out. Given the popularity of Steve Morse in the genealogical community, we urge members to not delay registering for this event.

Will I receive confirmation of my registration? Yes, if you register through our website you will receive confirmation through pgsma.org/Eventbrite, our on-line, secure registration partner. If you register through the mail, you will receive a confirmation via the e-mail address you provide. Your confirmation will include directions to the event location.

Where can I park for this event? Parking is available at Parking lot B at the corner of Springfield Street and Fairview Avenue. This is also labeled the Sheila Ryan Flynn Parking Center. There is limited parking behind Mary Dooley Center for those requiring a shorter path.

Who may I contact if I have questions about registration? Contact Kathy Krysiak, PGSMA Vice President, at 781-718-0390 or kai...@gmail.com.

Will food be available at the event? Morning coffee and pastries are included in the price. Lunch will be available for purchase in the campus dining area.

Will WiFi be available at the event? Yes.

--
Joanne Saltman
President, Western Mass. Jewish Genealogical Society