Fwd: [JGSGB-Notices] Sun NOV 4: ***Program Change*** Why Did Our Ancestors Leave the Pale? at Beth El-Atereth, Newton Centre

Joanne Saltman

Nov 3, 2012, 9:26:42 AM11/3/12
to WMJGS group

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: JGSGB Notices List <jgsgb-...@jgsgb.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Subject: [JGSGB-Notices] Sun NOV 4: ***Program Change*** Why Did Our Ancestors Leave the Pale? at Beth El-Atereth, Newton Centre
To: Joanne Saltman <js24s...@gmail.com>

Inline image 2

Due to a death in his family, our speaker for this Sunday is unable to join us. We are fortunate that one of the preeminent genealogists in the country, Hal Bookbinder, will be in Boston and has offered to step in.
.
Why Did Our Ancestors Leave a Nice Place like the Pale?
Hal Bookbinder

Sunday November 4, 2012      1:30 pm

Congregation Beth El-Atereth Israel
561 Ward Stree    Newton Centre, MA

In 1880, fully 80% of our ancestors lived in Poland and the Pale of Jewish Settlement in western Russia. We all know of the pogroms (organized violence) and mass exodus of our ancestors to points west over the next generation. Hal Bookbinder will describe the 120 years of the Pale, from its formation in the late 18th century to its dissolution during the First World War, breaking the life of the Pale into six distinct periods which he designates as "Creation," "Containment," "Repression," "Enlightenment," "Pogroms," and "Chaos." This history will provide some context to our ancestors' lives in the Pale and, of course, their decision to leave everything they had known to make new lives in the West.

Hal Bookbinder directs information technology for the UCLA Health System. He lectures at annual conferences and has published numerous articles on research techniques, Jewish history, and border changes. He has identified over 3,500 relatives in eight lines, primarily from the Ukraine and adjacent areas of Moldova, Belarus, Russia and Poland, and has taken two of these back to the mid-18th century. Bookbinder has served as president of the JGS Los Angeles (JGSLA) and the International Association of JGS’s (IAJGS). He currently serves on the JewishGen Board of Governors as chair of the Strategic Planning Committee and is advisor to the 2013 IAJGS conference in Boston and co-chair of the 2014 conference in Salt Lake City. In 2010, he was honored with the IAJGS Lifetime Achievement Award.

Admission is free for members, $5 for guests.

The 33rd IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy

will be held in Boston next summer:  August 4 - 9, 2013.

The JGSGB is dedicated to helping people discover and research their Jewish family history. We offer monthly education programs and a comprehensive beginners’ course, maintain an extensive collection of research materials, and publish the award-winning journal Mass-Pocha.

866-611-5698                          in...@jgsgb.org                    www.jgsgb.org

Facebook Logo

Join JGSGB on Facebook

.