[Bike to the Future] Please Let the Highway Traffic Board know that You Oppose Proposed Speed Limit Increases in Winnipeg

Bike to the Future

Dec 1, 2012, 8:03:17 PM12/1/12
to Bike to the Future announcements

Bike to the Future Opposes Speed Limit Increases at Highway Traffic Board Hearings

The Highway Traffic Board is considering raising speed limits from 50 to 60 on stretches of many four lane roads in Winnipeg that pass through residential and commercial areas such as Grant, Corydon, Broadway, Main, etc.  They are proposing to do this as part of their mandate to “provide uniform speed limits” in Manitoba, because of “many calls received with respect to inconsistent speed limits and speed traps”.

Bike to the Future made a presentation emphasizing the greater danger for cyclists and pedestrians of a 60 km zone, and the fact that high speed roads discourage cycling and walking.  We made the following recommendation:

The default speed limit on all residential streets in urban settings should be 30 kilometres per hour, unless otherwise posted, and arterial road speed limits through residential and commercial areas should not exceed 50 kph.

Please take a moment to send an e-mail to the Highway Traffic Board (irism...@gov.mb.ca) supporting the BttF position, mentioning any speed limit changes which would adversely affect your family, with copies to your City Councillor and your MLA.

For more information, please visit our latest news item here.

No December Meeting

Please note that there is no monthly meeting scheduled for December.  Our next monthly meeting is scheduled for Tuesday January 8, 2013 at 5:30pm.  The meeting will take place at the Sport for Life Centre.  Minutes from our November 20th AGM and Monthly meeting have been posted.

--
Mark Cohoe
Executive Director