[Bike to the Future] More September news

Bike to the Future

Sep 21, 2011, 12:55:05 PM9/21/11
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This is another September newsletter.

1. September Monthly Meeting minutes
2. City Cycling course -- City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide
3. 2012 City budget: more $ for snow removal on AT routes
4. Workshop: Filling the gaps in St Boniface's cycling network
5. Provincial Election -- Manitoba needs focused leadership on active transportation
6. NDP promises safe crossing of the Perimeter for the NE Pioneers Greenway
7. BttF's memberships have changed from annual to lifetime

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
biketothefuture.org
____________________________

September Monthly Meeting minutes

The minutes from our September Monthly Meeting have been posted at biketothefuture.org/about/meetings.
____________________________

City Cycling course -- City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide

Two City Cycling courses appear on page 78 of the City of Winnipeg's Fall 2011 Leisure Guide.

The second of the two courses is this coming weekend.

City Cycling for Commuters

Would you like to start commuting but are uncomfortable on busier streets? Are you already commuting, but want to learn the cycling skills that will allow you to ride safely in heavier traffic? Certified Can-Bike instructors from Bike to the Future will help you build the skills and knowledge to ride confidently in traffic. The course is endorsed by the Manitoba Cycling Association, and each participant will receive a copy of the 2011 Winnipeg Cycling Map.

Fee: $43

When: Saturday September 24; Noon–4:00pm
Where: Sport for Life Centre, 145 Pacific Ave at Lily St
Leisure Guide Course ID: 401594

Registration
____________________________

2012 City budget: more $ for snow removal on AT routes

On Wednesday September 21, the City's Executive Policy Committee will be considering a report for City administration to increase the budget for snow removal on active transportation routes.

More
____________________________

Workshop: Filling the gaps in St Boniface's cycling network

Join us Tuesday September 27 at the Norwood Community Centre for a community workshop to help refine the cycling network in St Boniface.
  • Learn more about the city’s cycling routes in St Boniface.
  • Discuss barriers to cycling in St B, and the best opportunities to overcome those barriers.
  • Help us fill in the gaps where existing routes don’t quite connect.
All the details (including maps and posters)
___________________________

Provincial Election -- Manitoba needs focused leadership on active transportation

Info
____________________________

NDP promises safe crossing of the Perimeter for the NE Pioneers Greenway

Last night (September 20) in Rossmere MLA Erna Braun's campaign office, Premier Selinger, flanked by NDP candidates from Concordia, Elmwood, Radisson, and River East, announced to area residents that, if re-elected, they would build a safe pedestrian / cyclist crossing over the Perimeter Hwy from the Northeast Pioneers Greenway into the RM of East St Paul. It will be one of the first things they do.

Background info (PDF)

BttF's memberships have changed from annual to lifetime

At Bike to the Future's September Monthly Meeting we decided to change our memberships from annual to lifetime. This change is retroactive to our inception in May 2007, so anybody who has ever been a BttF member is now a current member. Anybody who no longer wants to be a BttF member should contact us, and we will remove them from our list.

This decision was reached after we discussed various membership models and the purposes of membership. We concluded that the amount of work required to administer annual memberships and track/solicit membership renewals is significant, and it is an unsustainable use of our volunteer resources.

We will continue to try and attract new members, and we will solicit donations to generate additional operating revenue.

Get Involved

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.