Re: 31529] Taff Ely Borough Council NTX 324L

Andrew Mann

Nov 10, 2018, 1:58:49 PM11/10/18
to ceased-bus...@googlegroups.com, welsh-bus-...@googlegroups.com
Continuing the Metro-Scania theme. London Transport examples MS1,3-6 (PGC201L etc) were acquired by Newport Corporation in November 1978. Following withdrawal by Newport, PGC203L was sold to the Gwent Constabulary and converted into a mobile Community Affairs vehicle. The attached photo was taken outside Police Headquarters in Cwmbran on 9th December 1992.

Regards,

Andrew

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [CBO:31529] Taff Ely Borough Council NTX 324L

Very nice to see and a very unusual purchase for an Urban District Council.  Pontypridd was also the only UDC to buy a Leyland National, just a solitary example which was joined later by many more but by then it had become Taff-Ely Borough Council.

I have a collection covering the history of these vehicles as part of my Pontypridd/Taff-Ely gallery which can be seen at:

I thought others had survived, but although that may be the case they are not very active!  Former London Buses MS4 (PGC 204L) was restored at one point but I understand it is now scrapped, leaving just a former Newport example YDW 756K which has masqueraded as a King Alfred bus before now.  I think corrosion gets to them and really becomes a seriously difficult repair.

If the Pontypridd examples don't satisfy your desire to see Metro-Scanias, there are also some SELNEC/GMT examples working from Oldham garage at:

Now go and refill your fuel tanks!

Regards,

David Beilby

On 5 Nov 2018, at 19:56, 'Dale Tringham' via Ceased-Bus-Operators <ceased-bus...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

.
I never managed to get a good photo of the Taff Ely Metro-Scanias in service (something to do with the weather in The Valleys.....) but here's their NTX 324L, with ornate '12' fleet number, resting at the garage. A colleague of mine in Leics acquired one of the Leicester Metro Scanias which is, I believe, the only example still operational.

22nd April 1978, Pontypridd

Dale
.

B008256