Fwd: Calling all software developers!

John Hurst

Jun 2, 2017, 3:54:17 AM6/2/17
to wellington-jug...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Craig Anslow <Craig....@ecs.vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM
Subject: Calling all software developers!
To: <john.b...@gmail.com>

Hi John,

I hope you are well. Please take a look. Thanks. Could you also please send this to the Wellington JUG Group too?

Thanks.

Cheers Craig
http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~craig/

Calling all software developers!

Want to know how your development practices compare to those used by other developers in New Zealand? Or in more than 20 other countries around the world? Then you should consider taking part in the international HELENA survey. Information on this survey – the goals, the background, and the team of more than 60 people worldwide – can be found here https://helenastudy.wordpress.com/  but in summary: “The overall goal is to investigate the current state of practice in software and systems development. In particular, we hope to determine which development approaches (traditional, agile, mainstream, or home-grown) are used in practice and how they are combined, how such combinations were developed over time, and if and how standards (e.g., safety standards) affect the development process and the methods applied. With this information, we aim to develop and deploy new systematic process designs and improvement activities to allow for more efficient and effective development approaches.”

The information collected will give us an international picture of how software and systems are developed. For those of us here in New Zealand we will be able to see how our approaches compare to those used elsewhere – whether on a national scale or just for your organisation. Remember, you can read more about the study at https://helenastudy.wordpress.com/ including information on how we will keep your data confidential. When you’re ready to start the survey, go here: https://www.soscisurvey.de/HELENA/    At most you will be asked to answer 29 questions and you should be able to complete the survey in less than 20 minutes. Most respondents need between 10 and 15 minutes. So, if you can spare a quarter of an hour it would be great to be able to consider your thoughts and experiences alongside those of software developers from around the world. Spread the word too – feel free to send this invitation on to others involved in software development, both here and abroad. The more responses we get the more we will all learn.

If you have any questions or would like clarification on any aspect of this global study please feel free to contact Professor Stephen MacDonell via email reply or by phone: 021 422 099.

HELENA New Zealand Team:
Prof. Stephen MacDonell, Auckland University of Technology
Dr Craig Anslow, Victoria University of Wellington
Dr Sherlock Licorish, University of Otago
https://helenastudy.wordpress.com/