next meeting

lenz

Feb 14, 2011, 3:20:01 AM2/14/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
hi,

it is about time that we get together again, talk about functional
stuff and have some beers. any volunteers for a talk? any dates that
are better than others? how about thursday 24th?

cheers
lenz

--
twitter: @norbu09
current project: iWantMyName.com

Alistair Bayley

Feb 17, 2011, 2:56:05 PM2/17/11
to Wellington Functional Programming UG
On Feb 14, 9:20 pm, lenz <norb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> it is about time that we get together again, talk about functional
> stuff and have some beers. any volunteers for a talk? any dates that
> are better than others? how about thursday 24th?

Do you advertise these meetings to the various fp communities?

Alistair

lenz

Feb 20, 2011, 4:36:17 PM2/20/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
hi,

sorry for the lag, i was away for a couple of days.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Alistair Bayley <aba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you advertise these meetings to the various fp communities?

what FP communities are you aware of in wellington? i would love to
get as many of them involved here as possible. to my knowledge there
are not too many, hence this user group.

Alistair Bayley

Feb 20, 2011, 7:36:27 PM2/20/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
>> Do you advertise these meetings to the various fp communities?
>
> what FP communities are you aware of in wellington? i would love to
> get as many of them involved here as possible. to my knowledge there
> are not too many, hence this user group.

I meant the various language communities. For example, I am on some of
the Haskell mailing lists. There may be other people in NZ who have
subscribed to the Haskell lists which are not aware of this
list/group.

People tend to get involved in a language community first, so it makes
sense (to me) to advertise in the language-specific communities.

Alistair

Hamish Mackenzie

Feb 23, 2011, 9:53:12 PM2/23/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
We have not set anything up for today. I think we should perhaps aim for the March 3rd if the room is available.

If there is interest I would be happy to give a presentation on the web framework Yesod (http://docs.yesodweb.com/). I have spent some of my spare time trying it out and I am very impressed so far. It has DSLs for HTML, CSS and JavaScript that allow for very powerful templates. I especially like the latest Hamlet syntax. It is now very similar to HTML, but with whitespace sensitivity instead of end tags. Because it uses the Blaze HTML builder it also seems to play really nicely with Blaze (an EDSL for HTML).

Hamish

Olly Betts

Feb 23, 2011, 10:41:11 PM2/23/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
On 24 February 2011 15:53, Hamish Mackenzie

<hamish.k....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We have not set anything up for today.   I think we should perhaps aim for the March 3rd if the room is available.

There's a Python User group meeting scheduled for March 3rd:
http://nzpug.org/MeetingsWellington

Cheers,
Olly

Finlay Thompson

Feb 23, 2011, 11:24:25 PM2/23/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
God knows why I am doing this...

But here goes. To go with Hamish's yesodweb tak, I am volunteering to
give a talk about Snap, yet another web framework:
http://snapframework.com/

I guess that 3 March is not going to happen. How about the 10th of
March ?

Finlay

lenz

Feb 23, 2011, 11:31:16 PM2/23/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
awesome lineup then, thanks hamish and finlay for the talks - this
looks like it will be another interesting evening :-)

@catalyst, is there some space somewhere for us at the 10th of march?

cheers
lenz

Hamish Mackenzie

Mar 8, 2011, 11:53:55 PM3/8/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
We have been really busy and we did not get organised in time for the 10th, so we are now aiming for Thursday 17th.

Hamish

lenz

Mar 9, 2011, 1:18:07 AM3/9/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
I could not get ahold of anyone at catalyst yet so have no
confirmation if the 17th is working or not. anyone on the list able to
check the internal catalyst calendar?

thanks

cheers
lenz

Grant Patterson

Mar 14, 2011, 7:09:20 PM3/14/11
to Wellington Functional Programming UG
Hi Lenz

Level 4 at catalyst is available on the 17th.

See you then

Grant

lenz

Mar 14, 2011, 8:09:57 PM3/14/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
sweet, thanks grant for sorting that out for us.

hamish, finlay, how are you two set for thursday? can you guys get the
presentations done till then? it is only ~2.5 days left :-)

cheers
lenz

Finlay Thompson

Mar 14, 2011, 8:20:00 PM3/14/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lenz

I'll have a talk for you guys, about the Snap web framework for Haskell.

Thursday it is.

Finlay

Hamish Mackenzie

Mar 14, 2011, 8:59:39 PM3/14/11