How about a talk about FRP?

Stephen Blackheath [to Wellington-FP]

May 19, 2011, 7:39:51 PM5/19/11
to Wellington Functional Programming UG, nor...@googlemail.com
Lenz & all,

I really want to go to a Wellington-FP meeting! I want to drink beer,
eat chippies and talk to everyone.

I'd be happy to give a talk about FRP (Functional Reactive Programming),
if you'd like. Now I feel like I've got some good stuff to say about
it. It'd mostly be a high-level introductory intended to give a
thorough understanding of the concepts behind it, and what problems it
is intended to solve. FRP is usually associated in people's minds with
graphical animation, but actually its usefulness is so general, that it
could (and should) dislodge the dominance of the observer pattern.

Steve

Gert Verhoog

May 19, 2011, 7:42:12 PM5/19/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com, nor...@googlemail.com
On 20/05/2011, at 11:39 AM, Stephen Blackheath [to Wellington-FP] wrote:

> I'd be happy to give a talk about FRP (Functional Reactive Programming),

+1, I'd love to learn more about FRP.

cheers,
gert

Stephen Blackheath [to Wellington-FP]

May 25, 2011, 8:17:53 AM5/25/11
to wellin...@googlegroups.com
Gert,

With that encouragement I've prepared a talk, and I'm ready to go
whenever Lenz & co. can arrange a meeting.

I am trying to make it accessible to a non-FP audience (Java/C#-style
syntax, etc), so please everyone try to drum up some interests among
general industry people... (basically anyone who is frustrated with the
observer pattern.)

If anyone wants the slides in advance for that purpose, I'll send them
off-list. I want to retain some air of mystery, though. :)

"Functional Reactive Programming"

In the talk I discuss some problems with the observer pattern, and show
how Functional Reactive Programming works, and how it can help solve
them. I also compare FRP with Erlang's actor model.

I have spent a lot of time working on a proprietary FRP implementation
with iPwn Studios, a Boston-based video game startup.

Steve