RE: Weller Beer Bottle Label

Malcolm Weller

Jul 14, 2011, 9:34:42 AM7/14/11
to Weller Family (Bucks), g...@weller-lakes.co.uk
Hi Guy,

I have attached the list I have so far. I have been slowly adding detail to it.
We have visited a number in and around Amersham but have quite a few to go.
How many have you managed to visit so far?

Cheers,
Mal.

Jul 14, 2011, 10:22:40 AM7/14/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com

Mal,

None at all I am afraid! I live the wrong end of the country for just popping in! It would have to be a specific pilgrimage, which given the number of pubs would take a while!  And of course one couldn’t drive. The proper way would be to devise a walking holiday, in the absence of owning a horse and carriage!

I have photos of just some of them so thanks for the list.

Guy

Richard Weller

Jul 14, 2011, 12:00:00 PM7/14/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Presumably the number of former Weller pubs still in business is declining rapidly, as throughout the country.

Richard

Peter Slocombe

Jul 14, 2011, 3:32:37 PM7/14/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the spread-sheet.  During my next visit to the UK I will attempt to visit as many of the pubs as possible.  Even if they are no longer  pubs it would be great to have a photographic record of each of them.

Does anyone have any of the old beer formulas/recipes.  The Weller beers seem to have had a good reputation.  I frequently use a self-brew operation here in Canada to make beer.  How much better it would be to make beer with which I have a family connection.

Greetings to all.

Peter M. Slocombe
(Weller Grandmother)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Richard Weller <meg...@talktalk.net> wrote:
Presumably the number of former Weller pubs still in business is declining rapidly, as throughout the country.

Richard

Peter M. Slocombe

RMWE...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2011, 3:44:41 PM7/14/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a great trip Peter!
Richard Weller

Richard Weller

Jul 14, 2011, 5:55:12 PM7/14/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Peter Slocombe wrote  < The Weller beers seem to have had a good reputation.> I am afraid that was not always the case.  A letter to the Daily Mirror in July 1977 raised some questions about the quality of beer served in Weller’s houses.  The writer’s father had been the licensee of the Wheatsheaf at Sarrat from 1912 to 1929 when it was a Weller’s house.  He wrote that in addition to finings after delivery, the XXX received raw beef and egg shells after it had stood for a few days.  The beef ‘to take out the tartness’ and the shells to clear impurities.  He added ‘perhaps it is fitting that one of the brewery’s slogans was “clear to the last drop.” ’

Richard

Peter Slocombe

Jul 15, 2011, 10:56:02 AM7/15/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Coming from "Cider" country the addition of raw beef and egg shells seems to be very Up-Market.  Much better than the rats and chickens rumoured to have been used to do the same for Scrumpy.  No wonder the stuff left the uninitated leggless after a few pints.  Sadly it is not as easily obtained as it was during my youth; but that was a long time ago and the world has moved on.  Not many yokels sucking straws playing shove ha'penny and knocking back rough-cider (Scrumpy) over a Ploughman's lunch around these days more's the pity.

Peter

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Richard Weller <meg...@talktalk.net> wrote:
Peter Slocombe wrote  < The Weller beers seem to have had a good reputation.> I am afraid that was not always the case.  A letter to the Daily Mirror in July 1977 raised some questions about the quality of beer served in Weller’s houses.  The writer’s father had been the licensee of the Wheatsheaf at Sarrat from 1912 to 1929 when it was a Weller’s house.  He wrote that in addition to finings after delivery, the XXX received raw beef and egg shells after it had stood for a few days.  The beef ‘to take out the tartness’ and the shells to clear impurities.  He added ‘perhaps it is fitting that one of the brewery’s slogans was “clear to the last drop.” ’

Richard

Malcolm Weller

Jul 19, 2011, 4:33:56 AM7/19/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Call on me and I may just join you for a few pints.
The recipe may be in the Benskins archive, wherever that may be.
Mal.

Jul 20, 2011, 2:14:03 PM7/20/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
I sense a Weller union (or reunion) happening in Amersham one saturday.

David Weller

Jul 20, 2011, 7:46:14 PM7/20/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Can you give lots of notice for us from distant places ? ( NZ )
 David Weller
Jul 20, 2011, 7:48:14 PM7/20/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com

And us in the US!  I’d love to attend a Weller reunion based on a walking pub crawlholiday in and around Amersham!

O. Julia Weller
Partner
Pierce Atwood LLP
202.470.6423 direct
jwe...@pierceatwood.com

Malcolm Weller

Jul 22, 2011, 6:39:24 AM7/22/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
It is a very nice village/town with nice walking round and about.
This link should show the brewery building in Google street view.
I staged a birthday party for my dad at an ex WELLER pub with a tour past the brewery buildings by a member of the Amersham museum. It was a good day.
Mal.

Jul 22, 2011, 6:42:44 AM7/22/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julia
I just had to drop you a line on noting the coincidence of us both being
named Julia Weller (although I more commonly answer to Julie) I it your
birth name?

I live in Australia, and just thought you might be as intrigued as I am!

Cheers Julie Weller
--
ABA Counsellor Q 1982 Gold Coast South, Queensland Branch - overseas
Florida USA 2005-2010

Mother to Andrew, David, Edward and Alex
Grandma to Andrew and Shelli's, Jamie, Michael (SIDs Angel), Connor,
Shayne and Chloe
Grandma to Alex and Jo's baby boy, Zayden 15th April 2009 & Acaciah 21st
April 2010

SO Dennis (the yank)
StepMom to Adam, Alecia and Rachel
juw...@msn.com on MSN Messenger

Julia Weller

Jul 22, 2011, 8:12:21 AM7/22/11
to weller...@googlegroups.com
Wow! That is a coincidence! I've never actually met a Weller who wasn't a relative and never a Julia Weller. Yes, that is my birth name but when I was a teenager I also went by Julie. But only my friends from England still call me that. I was named after my father's mother (who was a Birch by birth). She died when my father was three years old. That's so cool that I have a distant cousin with the same name living in Australia!
I became a grandmother too last November to an adorable little girl named Safiyeh (my son-in-law is part Turkish). I have three girls--Olga (my mother was Bulgarian), Anath (my husband is Israeli) and Daisy. What does SO mean?