A Sorcerer in the Family

Richard Weller

Oct 13, 2009, 4:27:12 PM10/13/09
to Weller of Kent
There is a fascinating reference to Captain WELLER on the Setter
Stone: www.orkneyjar.com/history/monoliths/setterstone.htm. "In the
18th century a Latin inscription on the stone was translated as:
Andreas Matheson fled here from the Sorcerer Captain Weller in 1755. A
ship's surgeon, this Matheson believed his captain had magical powers
and that his sorcery was ensnaring him. Terrified, he fled to Eday,
but even there felt that Captain Weller's magic was reaching him."

Wouldn't you just love to know the full story?

So, the question arises: Who was this Captain WELLER? He most likely
came from the Kent/Sussex family. (My own Ox and Bucks family all kept
to dry land, so far as I have discovered.) There are at least two
possibilities.

1. Captain George WELLER of Rye, Sussex, who married Elizabeth NORTON
in 1752.

2, Captain John WELLER 1718-1772 who eventually became an Admiral. He
was son of John WELLER senior 1688-1752, of Kingsgate House,
Rolvenden, Kent and Elizabeth nee VAUX.

There is correspondence between the Naval Board and a Captain John
WELLER, commander of HMS the Rose in 1729 and of the yachts Dorset and
Dublin 1737-1755. Probably the same John.

Can anyone identify the sorcerer in the family?

Richard

cardbraddt

Oct 13, 2009, 9:46:43 PM10/13/09
to weller-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard,
What a wonderful story about Captain Weller!  I recently learned that there were Wellers in Speldhurst since the 15th Century, some of which seem to have been quite wealthy.  I'm wondering if that could explain Richard Carde and Anne Weller moving from Rotherfield to Speldhurst in 1725.  Best Regards, Brad