Weller AC Cars

Richard Weller

Sep 9, 2010, 3:17:27 PM9/9/10
to Weller of Kent
I am posting this enquiry and my reply to the group, as others may be
interested. In any case, it is time for some activity on the WELLER
group!

Richard

Dear Mr Weller

I am trying to be accurate, for a piece of research only tangentially
related to Weller Bros (firm in West Norwood, London in late 1890s
making motor cycles), so can you please possibly tell me the
relationship between John Weller who started AC Cars (in 1903) and
Septimus Weller who, in latter life at least (1920s), collaborated
with one Henry Marles to produce the cam and roller steering gear
known as Marles Weller steering, still made today?

I know that John and Septimus lived at separate addresses in Surbiton,
Surrey, at around the same time so they are almost certain to have
been related but was Septimus one of the Weller Brothers of motor
cycle and then car fame or were they uncle and nephew, father and son,
or some other connection?

I am fascinated by you exhaustive family tree website but cannot
actually link these two men. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

with best regards
Peter Brown

Dear Mr Brown

You ask whether John and Septimus were uncle/nephew, father/son, or
some other connection. They were, in fact, brothers!

Their parents were Harry WELLER and Sarah Ann nee MILLER, who had nine
children. As his name implies, Septimus was their seventh son, and
John their third. Septimus Beresford WELLER was born 24 Mar 1892. I
will gladly provide further details if you wish. You can also see the
family in the 1901 census ref RG 13/437 f 47 p 36, living at
'Wickford,' Idmiston Road, Norwood, London. Harry was a bookseller
and newsagent, born Brighthelmston (i.e. Brighton) Sussex 10 Aug
1845. We have his ancestry back to ca 1480 in Cranbrook, Kent -
although I doubt that is relevant to your research! I also have
details of the marriages and children of both John and Septimus.

Richard Weller

cardbraddt

Sep 9, 2010, 9:39:27 PM9/9/10
to weller-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard,
It is so good to hear from you once again.  Oddly enough, I've been thinking of you today as a possible critic to a couple of pages of conjecture I have generated relative to my great grand father, Thomas Card.  As I consider you a prime expert on life in Britain in the 19th Century, you would be the best person to evaluate my guesses as their validity.  With your permission, I shall send it along, but first I need to receive the Tonbridge Tithe Map CD that I have ordered from the Centre for Kentish Studies.  They have proved to be pretty slow at taking care of business.  I believe tht this CD will hold clues as to Thomas' real property holdings.  Best Regards, Brad
 PS: Not much on Wellers.  There has been no further effort to steal any of my ancestors.  BC

cardbraddt

Sep 9, 2010, 9:40:30 PM9/9/10
to weller-...@googlegroups.com

Richard Weller

Sep 10, 2010, 5:25:54 PM9/10/10
to Weller of Kent
Thanks Brad,

I am sending you a PM in reply.

Richard

.

John Spencer

Sep 25, 2012, 8:19:02 PM9/25/12
to weller-...@googlegroups.com, meg...@talktalk.net
Dear Mr Weller and the Weller family,

I hope this is not an intrusion but I have just come across your most interesting web-site concerning the Weller family and in particular motor engineer John Weller.

I am the archivist for the AC Owners' Club and would be most interested to establish the history of the company Weller Bros at West Norwood. Their products included the 20hp Weller car you have mentioned, which is often referred to as the first AC, and also the Weller motorcycle. There are very clear links with property, people and timing with the later companies which eventually became AC Cars, and John Weller's 6-cyl engine and other patents remain widely regarded by owners of AC Cars. But, we would like to establish the very earliest engineering history of the Weller family and have hit a stop!

Would much appreciate any assistance you can offer, and would also welcome the opportunity to share information we have with you.

Thankyou.

With regards,

John Spencer

Richard Weller

Sep 26, 2012, 5:25:01 PM9/26/12
to weller-...@googlegroups.com, meg...@talktalk.net
Dear Mr Spencer,

Welcome to the group and thanks for your message. I have sent you a PM by way of initial response with some information about John WELLER of AC cars, but am hoping one or more descendants of his adopted son Bernard and who are in this group will also respond.  However, I am somewhat concerned that they may have changed their email addresses since they joined the group several years ago but not altered them on their profiles and so will not see your message.

Richard

Jacqui

Sep 26, 2012, 5:39:20 PM9/26/12
to weller-...@googlegroups.com