William Weller Ashford and Sarah Collins

Lynne BT

Nov 30, 2009, 3:13:27 PM11/30/09
to weller-...@googlegroups.com

Hi

My ancestor is william weller of Ashford married sarah collins married at Monks Horton 1770

I think they had 5 children and that william was a shoe maker in Ashford

but I cannot find William or Sarah's birth or parents.

I bought the cd from the Kent FHS on Ashford last year but it has not arrived and I was too busy at work to chase it up.

Any help any one can give would be gratefully received

best wishes

Lynne

cardbraddt

Nov 30, 2009, 9:56:48 PM11/30/09
to weller-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lynne,

My Weller line is from Horsham and eventually one, Richard, moved to Frant.  There were a large number of Wellers centered around Cranbrook which is not far from Ashford. A Richard from that family also moved to Frant at around the same time (1600 thereabouts), which keeps things confusing.  I am not related to tthe Cranbrook bunch as far as I can determine.  You could go to the sussexweald website which has listed a lot of genealogical information on my Weller line as well as that of the Cranbrook Wellers.   The Cranbrook Wellers were very wealthy clothiers.  Best Regards, Brad Card

Richard Weller

Dec 2, 2009, 6:19:58 PM12/2/09
to Weller of Kent
Lynne,

Further to Brad's message, there are no likely William WELLERs from
Cranbrook or Rolvenden in the appropriate time-frame, but there was a
William WELLER baptised at Tenterden 1 Mar 1751 who does not seem to
have married or been buried in his natal parish before 1770. You
should also consider searching all the other parishes around Ashford
for any other Williams and trying to trace their marriage or burial
and see if that leaves any other candidates for your ancestor.
Although your William's bride lived in Monks Horton, which is east of
Ashford, and Tenterden is west, Ashford would have been the market
town for both places, so they could have first met there.

(I am afraid a lot of CDs go missing in the post. It seems a certain
postal worker will have been displeased as well as dishonest when he
found he had pocketed parish register transcripts and not the
marketable pop songs he probably hoped for.)

Good luck with your research.

Richard