Mayor of Dover, a stained glass maker and Jewish descent

Winifried Weller

Jul 14, 2012, 3:54:47 AM7/14/12
to weller-...@googlegroups.com
My father's grandmother was a Weller from Kent, UK (Winifried Weller Russom). I've tried to trace my line on the Internet but couldn't find anything. My father has told me that one of our ancestors was mayor of Dover and another one was a stained glass maker. Do you happen to have any information about them? Where can I read more about Wellers with a Jewish descent from continental Europe?

meg...@talktalk.net

Jul 14, 2012, 3:58:05 PM7/14/12
to weller-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the Group, Winifried.

I am sorry to report that there is no data on the One-Name Study files for WELLERs in Dover or of glass-makers (yet!).  Perhaps surprising when there is data for over 80 Kent parishes in a total of over 400 in England, supplied by 300 contacts.  Do you have a date and name for the mayor of Dover?  Does any other Group member know about glass-makers?
Regarding your request for information about Jewish WELLERs from continental Europe, I would think there is a better chance of help from American descendants.  I am not aware that any such WELLERs settled in England (whereas my own maternal line was of German Jewish origin.)  Others have researched American families with our surname, so I have cocentrated on the UK, which in effect means either Kent/Sussex/Surrey or Oxford/Buckinghamshire prior to about 1800. You might consider posting a message on Genforum's WELLER forum as it has many American subscribers.

I am so sorry I cannot be more help at this stage.

Richard.