Scraps of Info as I find them

Myrna Swanger

Jun 22, 2009, 3:15:54 AM6/22/09
to weller-...@googlegroups.com
Mail0001.JPG

Richard Weller

Jun 22, 2009, 5:08:10 PM6/22/09
to Weller of Kent
Myrna,

Thanks for posting the MI of the WELLERs in Rolvenden churchyard.
Very helpful. These WELLERs seem to have delighted in including
several generations on their memorials, but sadly they didn't always
get their facts right! I have a few observations to make about this
MI.

Tobias s/o Alexander was buried 9 Jan 1689/90 but not at rolvenden but
at Great Mongeham, Kent.
Admiral John WELLER didn't die in the East Indies but in India, where
he was buried in Calcutta. The error arose because he was with the
Honourable East India Company.
There should be a full stop after E Indies. "Also in 1793" refers to
Catherine.
Their son William died in 1790 not 1791. He was buried at Rolvenden
on 16 April. (He was also in the Army, a Captain in the 20th Regiment
of Foot.)
I dunno what the NB after Glasgow and Stirling stands for. Any
suggestions anyone? It seems to refer to Scotland.
I presume the transcriber omitted to record the name of Nicholas's
eldest daughter, Anne, on the north side of the monument. It would be
strange if it was not actually inscribed in the epitaph..

Re Transcript 81. I have Christina (not Christian) Jane BAIRD but may
be wrong. Her husband was Major Thomas Montague Martin, s/o Francis
and grandson of the above mentioned Nicholas. He seems to have been
uncharacteristically modest about his own details! Having typed that,
I see his names are listed in 83.

Other group members who, like me, are not connected to this family may
be beginning to understand why I became interested in them
nevertheless. They are indeed an interesting lot. Admirals, Bishops
et al.

Cheers,
Richard