WeeWX crashing for unknown reasons

rkr...@gmail.com

May 5, 2022, 9:03:15 AM5/5/22
to weewx-user
I've had my station (laketschida.info) up for 2+ years, and recently it developed a new bad habit.  WeeWX randomly decides to crash with very little useful error messages.  It just basically stops.  And when I restart it, it often takes a substantial length of time (hours) before it actually starts updating the reports, or even writing to the archive.sdb.  (the mqqt feed works fine during this time)

Any ideas?  Debug and /var/log/messages attached

weewx.txt

rkr...@gmail.com

May 5, 2022, 5:07:47 PM5/5/22
to weewx-user
Nevermind, stared at it long enough that I solved my own problem!   Never, ever trust external data!  I pull data from the US Bureau of Reclamation (lake elevation, dam opening, discharge, etc..)  I had assumed their data was good, and wasn't doing the proper checks in my import script.  Turns out they are having issues, and the dam elevation now randomly has the wrong value &/or a minus sign.  WeeWX didn't like being fed something with a minus sign at the end, where it expects a float.