Re: [weewx-user] Winddirection is missing

Dave Webb KB1PVH

Jan 23, 2016, 4:49:33 PM1/23/16
to weewx...@googlegroups.com

The only time it will show wind direction is when the wind is actually blowing otherwise there's no direction to report.

Dave-KB1PVH

Sent from my Samsung S4

mwall

Jan 23, 2016, 5:05:33 PM1/23/16
to weewx-user
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-5, Domi S wrote:
Wundergroundpage:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IZRICHKL3#history

Hello wunderground gets no directiondata when the wind speed reaches 0km/h.
Can i set somewhere that weewx don't delete this Winddirection values?

as dave noted, this is by design - if there is no wind speed, the wind direction is undefined.

in weewx, this policy is enforced by the StdWXCalculate service.

if you prefer to report a wind direction when there is no wind speed (maybe your direction sensor is more sensitive than your speed sensor?  or maybe you just like to go against common logic :), then you can disable the policy like this in weewx.conf:

[StdWXCalculate]
    ignore_zero_wind = False

Domi S

Jan 24, 2016, 12:34:49 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
I did this and it does nothing.
Thats the reason i dont like configuration files:)

mwall

Jan 24, 2016, 12:39:47 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 12:34:49 PM UTC-5, Domi S wrote:
I did this and it does nothing.

did you restart weewx after making the change?

which hardware and driver are you using?

exactly what is in your weewx.conf file?

Thats the reason i dont like configuration files:)

i'd like the do-what-i-want-not-what-i-say-direct-to-brain interface, but its still not ready for production.

what do you prefer?

Message has been deleted

Domi S

Jan 24, 2016, 12:43:11 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
Yes restared and i insert it in the one you said there where prefer_hardware for wind .. Is

TE932 TFA Nexus

mwall

Jan 24, 2016, 12:50:22 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 12:43:11 PM UTC-5, Domi S wrote:
Yes restared and i insert it in the one you said there where prefer_hardware for wind .. Is

TE932 TFA Nexus

which version of weewx?

Domi S

Jan 24, 2016, 1:16:31 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
3.3.1-1

Config is like this
[stdWXCalibrate]

Pressure = prefer_hardware
rainRate = prefer_hardware
ignore_zero_wind = false

###########

mwall

Jan 24, 2016, 1:39:34 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 1:16:31 PM UTC-5, Domi S wrote:
3.3.1-1

weewx 3.3.1 contains te923 driver version 0.14.  that version of the driver forces windDir=None when windSpeed is 0

you can either hack the driver (remove lines 426 and 427), or update to weewx 3.4

'stdWXCalibrate' is not the same thing as 'StdWXCalibrate', and 'Pressure' is not the same thing as 'pressure'.

for future support queries you can avoid the 20 questions by posting the log file - it includes the version numbers and many other things that let us identify the system and software.

Domi S

Jan 24, 2016, 2:19:00 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
Must i set something in weewx 3.4?

mwall

Jan 24, 2016, 2:31:50 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 2:19:00 PM UTC-5, Domi S wrote:
Must i set something in weewx 3.4?

you must set the ignore_zero_wind=False option in [StdWXCalculate]

one of the changes between 3.2 and 3.3 was to remove the windDir=None when windSpeed = 0 condition from the drivers that were enforcing it, since it is handled by StdWXCalculate.

apparently we missed the te923 driver in 3.3, but as of weewx 3.4 this has been fixed (the te923 driver got a complete overhaul in 3.4).

Domi S

Jan 24, 2016, 3:18:43 PM1/24/16
to weewx-user
Thank you for your Help it worked now wunderground don't say Missing some wind data

Robin

Jan 25, 2016, 1:11:42 AM1/25/16
to weewx-user
Am I missing something profound here?

If the wind speed is zero, there is no wind. If there is no wind, it can't be coming from anywhere (it has no direction).

It seems like a lot of hassle to create a nonsense.

Puzzled.

David Hathaway

Jan 25, 2016, 11:50:46 AM1/25/16
to weewx-user
For my station, if I tell Wunderground there is wind data, there must be wind direction or it takes my station off the map.  For a time, weewx would send the speed = 0, but no direction since it was NULL.  This caused my station to be dropped from the Wunderground map.

My particular solution was to simply upload the last good direction, since it looked like weewx would upload 0 windspeed, and I wanted my station to stay active at Wunderground.

Thomas Keffer

Jan 25, 2016, 12:09:34 PM1/25/16
to weewx-user
I have not had this problem. For example, today, there have been many times with no wind speed, and the WU just records my wind direction as null. It certainly has not dropped me. Example.

Could you post your WU ID?

-tk

David Hathaway

Jan 25, 2016, 12:22:28 PM1/25/16
to weewx-user
Sure, my ID is KTXSUGAR19.  However, I have had this fix in place for a year or so.

Chris Swanda

Jan 25, 2016, 9:11:16 PM1/25/16
to weewx-user

I have never had this problem.  Just yesterday I recorded zero wind speed, no direction and it uploads to WU no problem.  Interesting.

Liz

Jan 25, 2016, 11:53:56 PM1/25/16
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:11:15 -0800 (PST)
Chris Swanda <chris....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have never had this problem. Just yesterday I recorded zero wind
> speed, no direction and it uploads to WU no problem. Interesting.
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PbicbwBWG-I/VqbVtUxHjSI/AAAAAAAA13c/C3AtQxZB0Zg/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-01-25%2Bat%2B20.10.21.png>
>

> On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 3:49:33 PM UTC-6, Dave Webb wrote:
> >
> > The only time it will show wind direction is when the wind is
> > actually blowing otherwise there's no direction to report.
> >
> > Dave-KB1PVH

WU gives me "incomplete data" or similar when wind speed is zero. They
have the problem, not me.
I look outside and I don't really care if I'm off WU's map. I don't use
RapidFire - that may make a difference.

Liz

Robin

Jan 26, 2016, 1:56:56 AM1/26/16
to weewx-user
My Davis Vantage Pro is currently measuring a zero wind speed and WeeWX is reporting this to WU without any problems. (08:50, 26 Jan - ID IEGEOEGE2)

I take it that WU assigns the direction as North.

Curious that different people are seeing different things from WU.

This thread has made me think that I should put an "if" statement into my skin to remove the direction element from my website when there is no wind.
Message has been deleted

Robin

Jan 26, 2016, 3:21:38 AM1/26/16
to weewx-user
Modified the index skin

#if $current.windSpeed.raw > 0
#else
#end if

It used to show  0 km/h from N/A

It now shows 0 km/h

Which I think is easier on the eye.

Jim W.

Jul 8, 2016, 12:57:25 PM7/8/16
to weewx-user
I'm using weewx V 3.5.0 and have a Ambient 2080
I just added this line  ignore_zero_wind = False   to the weewx.conf file under [StdWXCalculate].
Hopefully that will solve the "incompleat wind data" problem