gjr80/weewx-steelseries update interval

Marty b

Sep 6, 2021, 6:03:42 PM9/6/21
to weewx-user
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to get gauge-data.txt to update each time a loop packet is received.  Currently it only updates at the same interval as the rest of the weewx files (~every 10 minutes).  I looked at the wiki page for extension, but the section for ' Changing how often gauge-data.txt is generated' says ' To be written.'

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

gjr80

Sep 6, 2021, 7:22:58 PM9/6/21
to weewx-user
Hi,

There are two means of having WeeWX generate gauge-data.txt; one is via the SteelSeries skin and the other is via the real-time gauge data extension. The former generates gauge-data.txt no quicker than every archive interval the latter up to every ‘loop interval’. It sounds like you may be using the former. It would help to know what you have installed and enabled. Could you please set debug = 1 in weewx.conf and then restart WeeWX. Let WeeWX run for at least  two archive intervals and then post the log showing the full WeeWX startup through until the two archive intervals have passed.nThat will tell us exactly what your install is doing.

Gary

Marty b

Sep 6, 2021, 8:40:54 PM9/6/21
to weewx-user
Hi,

Thanks for the response.  The logs are attached....

Marty
weewx-debug.txt

gjr80

Sep 6, 2021, 9:56:03 PM9/6/21
to weewx-user
Thanks. The logs indicate that you have the SteelSeries skin installed and the Realtime gauge-data extension, if installed, is not enabled. The SteelSeries skin generates gauge-data.txt during the report cycle at the end of every archive period, in your case every five minutes. The wiki you are referring to is for the Realtime gauge-data extension which can generate gauge-data.txt on receipt of each loop packet, in your case every 2.5 odd seconds. The setting for the Realtime gauge-data extension have no effect on the SteelSeries skin.

If you want gauge-data.txt to be generated on every loop packet then you need to install (or enable if already installed) the Realtime gauge-data extension. Note you will then. need to disable generation of gauge-data.txt by the SteelSeries skin or you will have the skin and the extension both generating gauge-data.txt. This would be bad.

Gary

Marty b

Sep 6, 2021, 10:16:41 PM9/6/21
to weewx-user
Thank you.  I will make sure I have the realtime gauge-data extension installed and enabled.

How do I disable the generation of the gauge-data.txt by the SteelSeries skin?

Marty

gjr80

Sep 7, 2021, 8:49:19 AM9/7/21
to weewx-user
There are a couple of ways you can disable generation of gauge-data.txt by the SteelSeries skin, but the simplest is to edit the SteelSeries skin skin config file (/etc/weewx/skins/ss/skin.conf) and comment out the highlighted lines under [CheetahGenerator]:

[CheetahGenerator]
    encoding = html_entities
    [[ToDate]]
            template = index.html.tmpl
#        [[[data]]]
#            template = gauge-data.txt.tmpl

Save the file (no need to restart WeeWX) and the SteelSeries skin will no longer generate gauge-data.txt. The only downside of this approach is if you ever re-install or update the SteelSeries skin you will need to revisit the skin config file and disable the gauge-data.txt generation.

Gary

Marty b

Sep 7, 2021, 10:28:05 AM9/7/21
to weewx-user
Thank you.  I will give it a try today...

Marty b

Sep 7, 2021, 11:30:20 PM9/7/21
to weewx-user
I was getting an error after installing the gjr80 / weewx-realtime_gauge-data extension so I reinstalled everything from scratch.  After reinstalling from scratch (OS, Apache, Weewx, RealtimeGauge-Data extension) I get the same error:

Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO weewx.engine: Starting main packet loop.
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: **** Traceback (most recent call last):
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****   File "/usr/share/weewx/user/rtgd.py", line 1815, in process_packet
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****     data = self.calculate(cached_packet)
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****   File "/usr/share/weewx/user/rtgd.py", line 2187, in calculate
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****     data[field] = self.get_field_value(field, packet)
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****   File "/usr/share/weewx/user/rtgd.py", line 1944, in get_field_value
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****     _raw_vt = as_value_tuple(packet, source)
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****   File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/units.py", line 1740, in as_value_tuple
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: ****     val = record_dict[obs_type]
Sep  7 20:23:33 WeeWx2021 weewx[3153] INFO user.rtgd: rtgdthread: **** KeyError: 'beaufort'
[...]

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Marty

Marty b

Sep 7, 2021, 11:56:58 PM9/7/21
to weewx-user
Here are the logs in a text file - in case that helps.  I do not see the file real time data file generated...
syslog.txt

gjr80

Sep 8, 2021, 7:30:37 AM9/8/21
to weewx-user
Thanks. It seems v0.5.0 was a bit of a buggers muddle; I should not have released v0.5.0 and when I did I released some early alpha code that has a bug. Rather then work through another release just now can I get you to replace your existing rtgd.py with the attached, to do this:

1. delete your existing /usr/share/weewx/user/rtgd.py
2. download that attached rtgd.py and save it as /usr/share/weewx/user/rtgd.py
3. restart WeeWX
4. monitor your log for errors and check that gauge-data.txt is generated and saved where it should be

If you do encounter any errors could you post a log extract showing WeeWX startup through until the error occurs, just as you did here.

There is one shortcoming in this version; I suspect the Beaufort value (field Tbeaufort in gauge-data.txt) will be zero irrespective of wind speed. This shouldn't matter too much just now as as far as I know the SteelSeries Gauges only uses the Tbeaufort field to display on the mouseover panel for the wind speed gauge. I need to work on fixing that, will post here when it is fixed.

Gary
rtgd.py

Marty b

Sep 8, 2021, 7:37:03 PM9/8/21
to weewx-user
That worked!  Thank you very much.

Is it safe to also install the chaunceygardiner/weewx-loopdata along side your loopdata extension?

Thank you again!
Marty

gjr80

Sep 9, 2021, 8:58:01 PM9/9/21
to weewx-user
> Is it safe to also install the chaunceygardiner/weewx-loopdata along side your loopdata extension?

I know nothing of what weewx-loopdata does but I can't see why not. Best way to find out is try it and see and monitor your log and the various outputs that WeeWX generates.

Gary

John Kline

Sep 9, 2021, 9:21:49 PM9/9/21
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the two won’t interfere with each other.  I ran both plugins together for a long time.

On Sep 9, 2021, at 5:58 PM, gjr80 <gjrod...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it safe to also install the chaunceygardiner/weewx-loopdata along side your loopdata extension?

I know nothing of what weewx-loopdata does but I can't see why not. Best way to find out is try it and see and monitor your log and the various outputs that WeeWX generates.

Gary

Marty b

Sep 12, 2021, 10:12:31 AM9/12/21
to weewx-user
Thank you for the responses John and Gary.  I have them both running and they seem to be working fine together.

Gary - Thank you again for the assistance getting your extension operational!

Marty

gjr80

Sep 14, 2021, 10:17:51 PM9/14/21
to weewx-user
Just to tie this off I have now published the correct v0.5.0 on the releases page. This v0.5.0 includes the fix for the the earlier 'beaufort error'.

Gary