Davis VantagePro2 and extra sensors

Matthew Daubenspeck

Sep 2, 2021, 1:37:57 PM9/2/21
to weewx-user

I've been running weewx with a Davis VantagePro2 since sometime in 2014. I had version 3.2.1 and just almost forgot about it, now realizing it was that old! When I look at that versions LOOP, I saw sections for UV and solar radiation, both which returned 0. I ordered both of those external sensors and when they arrive, do I have to make any changes anywhere? I just upgraded to 4.5.1 (which was flawless, btw!) and I no longer see those two items in the LOOP output. If I just plug in the sensors, should they automatically show up?

Thanks!

vince

Sep 2, 2021, 1:51:12 PM9/2/21
to weewx-user
On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 10:37:57 AM UTC-7 mell...@gmail.com wrote:
 I ordered both of those external sensors and when they arrive, do I have to make any changes anywhere? I just upgraded to 4.5.1 (which was flawless, btw!) and I no longer see those two items in the LOOP output. If I just plug in the sensors, should they automatically show up?

Testing is fun.
Go for it and let us all know what you find experimentally !

Greg Troxel

Sep 2, 2021, 1:59:54 PM9/2/21
to Matthew Daubenspeck, weewx-user
I have a VP2+, which is a VP2 with those sensors. I installed weewx a
few years ago and have updated a few times since, and I get data in loop
packets and in my (old standard skin) graphs.

After you plug them in, check that you see the values on your console,
of course.
signature.asc

gjr80

Sep 2, 2021, 4:26:48 PM9/2/21
to weewx-user
What you are seeing is the effect of a change introduced in v3.7.0 whereby non-existent sensors were omitted from vantage loop packets rather than including them with the value None. Just install your new sensors as per the Davis instructions and once the console picks up the data from the new sensors WeeWX will automatically pick up the new sensor data as well.

Gary

Matthew Daubenspeck

Sep 3, 2021, 8:12:14 PM9/3/21
to weewx-user
Thanks for that info! The UV sensor was back ordered and the solar radiation sensor already arrived. I installed and plugged in and it immediately appeared in the LOOP and was grabbing data right away. I'll try the same with the UV sensor once it arrives. Thanks to all for the help.

Matthew Daubenspeck

Sep 12, 2021, 1:46:21 PM9/12/21
to weewx-user
Just wanted to add that after plugging in both sensors weewx picked up everything automatically. Thanks all!