Roughly how many weewx users are there?

WindnFog

Aug 15, 2022, 2:07:26 PM8/15/22
to weewx-user
Do any developers have a ballpark figure of how many active instances of weewx are being used worldwide?  Now and then, people ask me how widely it's used.  I'd like to say "by about 1000, 5000, 10,000."

- Paul VE1DX

Karen K

Aug 15, 2022, 2:20:08 PM8/15/22
to weewx-user
You may want to look at WeeWX station map.

WindnFog

Aug 15, 2022, 2:24:31 PM8/15/22
to weewx-user
Thanks, Karen.  I have many times but was hoping to avoid counting the red dots! :-)  However, I just discovered on the wiki that only about 1700 stations chose to register, and since this is off by default, it's believed the number is much higher.  I'll just say "multiple thousands" and refer them to the map.  That itself is impressive.

- Paul VE1DX

vince

Aug 15, 2022, 2:40:00 PM8/15/22
to weewx-user
Another measure might be how many folks are in the weewx-user google group if Tom has that handy.

How many downloads probably isn't a great indicator since some folks do lots of installations and docker builds and the like, but I suspect that might be an interesting data point right after a version roll that might set some kind of upper bound (although everybody doesn't upgrade of course).

Oldest registered server seems to be 2.5.0 which was late 2013 vintage.  Can you say 'stable' ???

Tom Keffer

Aug 15, 2022, 7:53:33 PM8/15/22
to weewx-user
There are 3,715 members of weewx-user.

We haven't measured downloads recently, but it usually runs 5-8,000 per month.

I really don't have any idea how many active stations that adds up to. Maybe 10,000?

-tk

HRM Resident

Aug 15, 2022, 8:40:00 PM8/15/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
That’s close enough, Tom.  I like to promote it, so I think something like “Between 5 and 10 thousand” is a good response.  There’s no doubt in my mind that this far exceeded your expectations when you first kicked it off.  Also it’s a great example of the Deming cycle of continuous improvement, etc.

Thank you.

- Paul VE1DX

On Aug 15, 2022, at 8:53 PM, Tom Keffer <tke...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "weewx-user" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/CAPq0zEDSQs6ktZ4CeVPFOrTcYLyOKyvTEUi4uKf0TEVykJ5wOg%40mail.gmail.com.

DR

Aug 15, 2022, 8:56:00 PM8/15/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com

I am in deepest appreciation for the effort.  I have been thwarted in knowing sort of how it works, despite reading almost every comment here.  I have tried three different Learn Python books, and all are explaining the very basic stuff I know, then taking a big jump over my next step in understanding.  But the last one (blush, one of the 'python for dummies' ones, I'll admit it) is just about my pace. I'm up to the point of understanding data dictionaries and importing/exporting files, and think if I can master that, I'll be able to interface with a few more platforms and then be able to sleep at night!

I cannot imagine TK starting such a robust effort 'just' to learn a new programming language.  What an accomplishment, and we all have an incredibly versatile weather software program for it.  Thank you.

matthew wall

Aug 17, 2022, 12:56:25 PM8/17/22
to weewx-user
here is a plot of the weewx downloads since 2015.  the latest complete month is july 2022.

weewx-downloads-220815.png

matthew wall

Aug 17, 2022, 1:00:45 PM8/17/22
to weewx-user
and just for fun, here is a plot of the weewx version.  this is as reported by those who have enabled the registry - we have no way of knowing *all* weewx installations.

weewx-versions-220815.png

stefa...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2022, 8:05:56 PM8/17/22
to weewx-user
Wow, that's impressive! I never thought there were that many downloads. Its interesting to see the ratio of each version too!

Rob Cranfill

Aug 19, 2022, 7:32:35 PM8/19/22
to weewx-user
Aw, man, I'd forgotten about the default 'false' for register_this_station - I've been off the map for who-knows-how-long. :-(

I guess I still haven't properly figured out how to merge my customizations when I do an update. My bad.

 /rob

Jonathan Ryshpan

Mar 12, 2023, 7:32:41 PM3/12/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
There are (about) 1727 URLs listed in the Station Map.
--
Sorry to be so late - Jonathan Ryshpan <jon...@pacbell.net>

	The best is the enemy of the good -- Voltaire

Paul Dunphy

Mar 14, 2023, 9:11:35 AM3/14/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
    Thanks, Jonathan.  Those stations are the ones who voluntarily
chose to register their station with the weewx registry.  That is a
field in the weewx.conf file that defaults to not doing so, specifically:

    [[StationRegistry]]
        # To register this weather station with weewx, set this to true,
        # then fill out option 'station_url', located in the [Station]
section above.
        register_this_station = false

    According to the weewx authors, there's no accurate way of knowing
the number of active users.  They know the number of downloads of the
software, the number of subscribers to the discussion group, etc.  None
of these metrics indicate the correct number of active users.  Tom's
"best guess" is about 10,000.

    When anyone asks me, I say "I believe around 10,000."

- Paul

--
Paul M Dunphy
Lake Echo, Nova Scotia