Upgrade WeeWx - Best practices

Tex Drone

Jun 17, 2024, 3:36:17 PMJun 17
to weewx-user
I have a Raspberry Pi3 that has been running WeeWx 4.x for several years, now I would like to upgrade to 5.x without losing any data. My PWS equipment is a Davis Vantage Vue.

I have installed WeeWx 5.x on a newer Pi4 and have it running in simulator mode while I familiarize myself with it.

What would be the cleanest way to cut over and keep all of my historical weather data intact?

Thanks
Tex

Tom Keffer

Jun 17, 2024, 3:41:59 PMJun 17
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
You didn't say how you installed WeeWX, but just follow the instructions in the appropriate Quick Start Guide. See the Upgrade Guide (first section).

vince

Jun 17, 2024, 4:23:42 PMJun 17
to weewx-user
Tex if you want to use the new clean pi4 with weewx v5 it's pretty easy to do the switchover since it isn't really an upgrade....

* stop weewx on the new pi
* copy your old database into place on the new pi
* if you have a lot of years of data, copy your NOAA files over too to speed up first boot
* plug your new pi into the datalogger you currently have working on the old pi
* run 'weectl station reconfigure' to switch to the Vantage driver
* start weewx on the new pi

I'm assuming your are using a Davis serial or usb datalogger above (you didn't say), but basically you want to get everything working vs the simulator (likely with any uploaders to WU or the like commented out) and then switch over.   Nice thing if you have a working 'old' pi is that you can always go back to it and weewx should catch up any missed readings from your datalogger.

Tex Drone

Jun 17, 2024, 4:25:20 PMJun 17
to weewx-user
I installed DEB packages using apt.

Also, I should have been more clear in my original post. I want to transfer my existing data to a new Raspberry Pi, I should have stated that more clearly.

Thanks!

Tex Drone

Jun 17, 2024, 4:58:09 PMJun 17
to weewx-user
Ok, that seems pretty straightforward. However, if anyone can mess this up it will be me, which is the reason I want to use a new Pi.

At the moment I have roughly 5 years of data in the WeeWx db. I am using a Davis serial datalogger.

Thanks for the help!

Tom Keffer

Jun 17, 2024, 5:50:45 PMJun 17
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Just make sure your backup of the database is up-to-date.

You have been doing a backup, haven't you?! 😀

Tex Drone

Jun 17, 2024, 6:53:39 PMJun 17
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I have not been making any backups, until today. I just copied the weewx.conf, skin.conf, and weewx.sdb files.  It's one of those things, I set this up in 2019 and forgot about it, it's been diligently plugging away and updating WU and CWOP.

If I actually knew what I was doing, an upgrade to the existing equipment would probably be a piece of cake. I am going to play it safe. My plan is to get the new Pi setup and configured, then copy the .sdb file from the original Pi to the new one, and finally swap them out.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "weewx-user" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/CAPq0zEDHXh2eEN0FL%3Dgqv3xHxsX18G1kdszw_rMWwd0mU%3DVdQQ%40mail.gmail.com.