HTTP and HTTPS have different layouts

Susan Mackay

May 23, 2022, 6:24:41 AM5/23/22
to weewx-user
Weewx v4.1.1
Nginx V1.14.2
Any browser but testing with Chrome

(Not sure if this is a Weewx or nginx question - starting here)

When I first set up my station I used HTTP only and using the (pseudo URL) HTTP://myserver.org/weather returned the nicely formatted display.

I then tried to create an HTTPS arrangement and have all HTTP traffic redirected to HTTPS. That all seems to work OK BUT>>>>

When I access the HTTPS URL, the underlying page is sent but the formatting seems to be lost - everything is in a single 'line' down the left-hand edge of the window. Everything seems to be there - even the 'Current', 'Week' 'Month' and 'Year' buttons that show as links, and the 'Monthly Summary' pull-down is there but as a list of entries.

Any idea what I'm doing wrongly?

Susan (obviously a beginner with this web stuff)

Doug Jenkins

May 23, 2022, 6:55:48 AM5/23/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Susan:

Check your nginx config to ensure your SSL configuration includes the subdirectories and their files. Based on your message, it appears the css file is not being read by the web client.

DDJ

matthew wall

May 23, 2022, 4:17:31 PM5/23/22
to weewx-user
susan,

use the developer tools in your web browser to help diagnose this kind of problem.  opera, firefox and chrome each have a developer mode in which you can see errors and diagnostics for web pages that would otherwise silently go unnoticed, but for the wacky formatting.

when the formatting is mixed up, the typical cause is that a css file is broken or not available.

when menus do not work, the typical cause is that a javascript file is broken or not available.

the developer console will show these problems immediately.

Susan Mackay

May 23, 2022, 10:47:46 PM5/23/22
to weewx-user
As I said I am a beginner at the HTTPS stuff and I now know about the 'developer tools'. They pointed me straight at the included files that were stuffed fill of 'http:' references that was causing the problems.
All fixed now and thank you Matthew.
Susan