Resetting Rain Year Start

Jonathan Ryshpan

Mar 13, 2023, 12:14:06 PM3/13/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Is there any reason not to change the start of the rain year on a Davis Vantage View from January to October on a system that has been running for a while? Will it corrupt the archive or mess up the system in any other way? The weexd daemon will (of course) be stopped during the change.

--
Sincerely Jonathan Ryshpan <jon...@pacbell.net>

	Never waste any time you can spend sleeping.

Tom Keffer

Mar 13, 2023, 1:52:27 PM3/13/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
When you start weewx, it downloads the start of the rain year from your console and uses that for reporting. It's not stored in the database. So, if you change the rain year, you'll find that rain year reporting will change from January to October.

Delete all your reports and let weewx regenerate them. That way, they'll all use the same rain year start.

-tk

Jonathan Ryshpan

Mar 13, 2023, 6:04:28 PM3/13/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I have "changed" the start of the rain year to October, but am now perplexed because the rain year has always been set to start in October. I have reset the start of the rain year and have deleted all the files under /var/www/html/weewx but nothing has changed, as you can see by looking at the web site. What am I missing?

Here is the log of a reset session:
# wee_device --set-rain-year-start=10
Using configuration file /etc/weewx/weewx.conf
Using Vantage driver version 3.5.2 (weewx.drivers.vantage)
Old rain season start is 10, new one is 10.
Old and new rain season starts are the same. Nothing done.

And an extract from weewx.conf:
[Station]

   # Description of the station location
   location = "Claremont Hills Oakland, CA"
   # If you have a website, you may specify an URL
   station_url = http://oaklandweather.ddns.net

   # The start of the rain year (1=January; 10=October, etc.). This is
   # downloaded from the station if the hardware supports it.
   rain_year_start = 10

System info:
Operating System: Fedora Linux 37
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.103.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.11-200.fc37.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 2 × Intel® Pentium® CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 2500
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Inspiron 660s

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 9:14 AM Jonathan Ryshpan <jon...@pacbell.net> wrote:
Is there any reason not to change the start of the rain year on a Davis Vantage View from January to October on a system that has been running for a while? Will it corrupt the archive or mess up the system in any other way? The weexd daemon will (of course) be stopped during the change.

--
Sincerely Jonathan Ryshpan <jon...@pacbell.net>

	Quantula sapientia mundus regitur.
	-- Oxenstierna

Tom Keffer

Mar 13, 2023, 7:49:29 PM3/13/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
It works when I look at it. Make sure you click on the "Year" header under "Statistics."

Definitely not the most intuitive interface...

Wow! You've had a lot of rain this year.

Jonathan Ryshpan

Mar 13, 2023, 9:10:21 PM3/13/23
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2023-03-13 at 16:49 -0700, Tom Keffer wrote:
It works when I look at it. Make sure you click on the "Year" header under "Statistics."
Just so. I didn't realize that Statistics, etc were live links till today.

Definitely not the most intuitive interface...
Just as you say.

Wow! You've had a lot of rain this year.
We have more coming tonight and tomorrow. Probably over 40" total for the rain year.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 3:04 PM Jonathan Ryshpan <jon...@pacbell.net> wrote:
I have "changed" the start of the rain year to October, but am now perplexed because the rain year has always been set to start in October. I have reset the start of the rain year and have deleted all the files under /var/www/html/weewx but nothing has changed, as you can see by looking at the web site. What am I missing?

--
Sincerely Jonathan Ryshpan <jon...@pacbell.net>

	Gravitation can not be held responsible for people
	falling in love. -- Albert Einstein