After weewx.conf change there are critical issues!!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 10, 2024, 6:52:05 PMJul 10
to weewx-user
Following on from my posts on "External Website not updating" (https://groups.google.com/g/weewx-user/c/xYp5iQ996TQ) ....TLDR!!

...i have been given a new password which does seem to work on FTP - when tried in Filezilla. See attached!

So I put the new password in weewx.conf flie and rebooted.....The only thing I changed was the FTP password (AFAIK!!).

pi@WeatherPi:~ $ sudo systemctl status weewx
● weewx.service - LSB: weewx weather system
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/weewx; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2024-07-11 08:57:17 NZST; 1h 40m
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 342 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/weewx start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 11 08:57:10 WeatherPi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: weewx weather system...
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi weewx[342]: Starting weewx weather system: weewxError
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi weewx[342]: No handlers could be found for logger "__m
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi weewx[342]:  failed!
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi systemd[1]: weewx.service: Control process exited, cod
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: weewx weather system.
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi systemd[1]: weewx.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jul 11 08:57:17 WeatherPi systemd[1]: weewx.service: Failed with result 'exit-co
lines 1-14/14 (END)

This saga goes on and on...what have I done wrong now?
FilezillaWorks.pdf

Tom Keffer

Jul 10, 2024, 7:59:28 PMJul 10
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Who knows? You've given such a tiny bit of the log it's hard to say. Please do not rely on "systemctl weewx status". That only shows the last few lines and, in your case, it cut off the lines after 80 columns. Give the full log.

See the guide Help! Posting to weewx-user for how to get a good log.

Monica Mulholland

Jul 10, 2024, 8:17:04 PMJul 10
to weewx-user
Ah! I think I know what that was all about....the incipient failure of my SD card.....The Rpi will now not boot anymore....It never rains but it pours!.....I guess I should now go over to booting the Rpi from a USB stick...something I have been avoiding for years...in order not to 'upset' what was working! .....Wish me luck!

Thank you all for your all, and especially Tom Keffer, for the continuous support and encouragement!..it is greatly appreciated indeed!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 11, 2024, 6:32:39 AMJul 11
to weewx-user
As I have to reinstall my system from scratch - the SD card did indeed fail, I have decided up update the RPi from a 3 to a 4 and download the latest RaspberryPi OS. I have backed up copies of weewx-etc and weewx-var-lib. (from a few years ago!...and nothing much has changed from my side in that time). I would appreciate some tips and suggestions of the most efficient way (and any problems to watch out for) to get my weather station up and running again.

Thanks in advance.

Monica Mulholland

Jul 11, 2024, 4:16:00 PMJul 11
to weewx-user
I have just found a back up sd image from about a year ago...should I use that and try and update it to the latest weewx or should I start from scratch? I know it is my choice..but which would be less risky for a not very experienced person like me? Thank you!

vince

Jul 11, 2024, 5:01:52 PMJul 11
to weewx-user
If you don't care about saving old readings from your old database, please just follow the v5 documentation (link) and start anew.  Your blood pressure will thank you.

All you'll need to do at some point is configure any optional uploaders such as the FTP one you've been battling.  Having your old weewx.conf file someplace safe on another computer to use as a reference will help.

Monica Mulholland

Jul 11, 2024, 5:12:07 PMJul 11
to weewx-user
Thank you for that suggestion, much appreciated. However, for comparison purposes I would like to have access to the old records...they go back nearly 15 years! Is there anyway I can do both?

vince

Jul 11, 2024, 5:18:13 PMJul 11
to weewx-user
You really need to do some searches in the forums and documentation before your next dozen questions.

Yes - drop your old db into place and restart weewx and you'll have your old data.  It will take some time to rebuild all your NOAA files so be patient there.

Before you ask 'where do I put the database' please see the appropriate place in the userguide (link)

Tom Keffer

Jul 11, 2024, 5:18:59 PMJul 11
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Of course. Just copy the database file over. It's that simple.

See the documentation Where to find things for the location of your database file.

Monica Mulholland

Jul 11, 2024, 6:47:31 PMJul 11
to weewx-user
Apologies! Will do!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 14, 2024, 3:59:27 AM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx-user
How do I make a contribution to show my appreciation for all the work you have done and this project over the years....do you have a tip jar or something/

Tom Keffer

Jul 14, 2024, 9:39:23 AM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
No, but my current passion is the Western Flyer Foundation. A contribution there is always welcome!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 14, 2024, 8:28:29 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx-user
I am half way through my project of transferring from the RPi3 to the RPi4, with some notable successes! I have got the weather-underground site up and running...and showing on WU!

However, I am having no luck with the HTML website. Not sure where the problem is. I have run the log (see attached) and hopefully somebody can give me pointers. I have tried the log in details for the website on Filezilla and it connected properly.
syslog

p q

Jul 14, 2024, 9:10:43 PM (12 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
FTP appears to be timing out when trying to connect. Can you connect to the FTP server manually with the same credentials as you're using with Weewx?

--
Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264

vince

Jul 14, 2024, 9:16:06 PM (12 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx-user
If it is the same address starting with 43.245.x.x from the first message in this thread, that address 'does' respond for me.  Suspect a typo in weewx.conf possibly....

Monica Mulholland

Jul 14, 2024, 10:00:40 PM (12 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx-user
Thank you both  for that, I will examine it again....though I have been over this ground  a number of times.........I am but human and subject to mistakes!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 14, 2024, 10:08:44 PM (12 days ago) Jul 14
to weewx-user
On the plus side....I notice that....file:///var/www/html/weewx/index.html...works properly now.....but without the photo insert....which I have forgotten how to do or where to find it!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 15, 2024, 12:16:00 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to weewx-user
Hmm! I wonder if this could be the problem. You will see from Filezilla that I logged in using the information in the weewx.conf....and when I did I got this server certificate that I had to accept......maybe that is why it timed out....there was no way for the .conf file to accept the certificate????
FTPlogin.pdf

Monica Mulholland

Jul 15, 2024, 12:20:27 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to weewx-user
Problem solved, the website host told me that the problem was that I was not logging in on Port 22 and that Port 22 was the one I should be using. So, I took them at their word and did that. This time, just out of ciussidness, I tried Port 21 and, mirabile dictu, it just worked!

Thank you all for your help...your patience with me and your helpful suggestions are very much appreciated!

dunbrokin

Jul 15, 2024, 3:44:58 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, just one more thing. In the skin I was using (for many years) until all this happened, I was able to include a photograph every hour of the weather. I have no idea how I did this as it was so long ago....can somebody throw me a crumb please so that I can start working on that. I think I am using the standard skin. I am sure all of this will be in the back up image that I have got...but I have no idea where to start looking. As ever, thank you for your patience and support!

Monica Mulholland

Jul 15, 2024, 7:01:57 PM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to weewx-user
OK, I have solved this problem. But still not sure how to get rid of much of the Almanac verbiage, and also how to rearrange the page around the photo to make it more aesthetic.
jpgIncluded.pdf