Weewx-csv issue, rain and rainRate

Mark P

Aug 8, 2022, 2:48:33 PM8/8/22
to weewx-user
I have a problem with weewx-csv not outputting the rain and rainRate columns properly.  All other columns appear to by fine.  The weewx web pages, and hence the database, are all good as far as I can see.  I have tried to read some other posts covering similar problems but I'm afraid I didn't understand the answers in many cases.  I have run the weewx service with debug=1 and captured example weewx entries using all of the different device types (see attached).  The one I have been using is has been  device_type = observer.  When I set the system up initially, that seemed to work well, however, I hadn't noticed the csv files produced had dodgy rain values. (either that or I don't know how to interpret them, which is always a possibility) .   The weather station is a Bresser 7 in 1.  It posts directly to WUnderground. weewx was installed using apt-get install weewx on a Raspberry Pi with manual downloads and installs for  weewx-interceptor and weewx-csv.

Any advice gratefully received.

SyslogExtracts.txt
weewx.conf.extract

vince

Aug 8, 2022, 8:29:47 PM8/8/22
to weewx-user
we'd have to see your csv output and pointers to where you think it's wrong....

Mark P

Aug 10, 2022, 10:06:56 AM8/10/22
to weewx-user
Thanks Vince, you have already helped by asking the right question.  It look's like an interpretation issue on my part.  I started to prepare various extract files to send you and in the process did some check totals and the data is there, it's just not what I was expecting.  The CSV files are collected from data packets received every 20 seconds or so and it appears that rain info is sent only infrequently (maybe when the bucket empties??).  I am comparing it with data that has passed through WUnderground which is a running total for the day.  Knowing this I can get the totals on the raw data to be comparable with the WUnderground data within acceptable margins.  The difference being caused by rounding errors in the conversion from US units to metric and the like.

Thanks for your time.