Upgrade and move to weewx 5 on new server

bgra...@umw.edu

Jun 22, 2024, 11:51:08 AM (12 days ago) Jun 22
to weewx-user
As a successful user of wview/weewx for 15+ years, I owe much of my success to the help received from members of this group. I’m not a skilled programmer.
My task now is to move a working 4.10.2 on a Ubuntu machine (setup.py) to an RPI5 running Bookworm (pip install).
The upgrade instructions are easy to follow when working with one machine but, lacking confidence in my ability, I don’t want to work on (upgrade) a functioning system.
I use the Standard skin and have a fair number of customizations in weewx.conf and its skin.conf. So far, I have re-installed extensions on 5 and they seem to be working correctly.
Is there an easy way to modify /home/weewx/weewx.conf on 4.10.2 after copying it to the RIP5? Can this be run to do what I want? weectl station upgrade --config=~/weewx-data/weewx.conf The weewx.conf here being the 4.10.2 version copied from the working machine.
Can anyone suggest an easy way to do this upgrade/move from one machine to another?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Bob

vince

Jun 22, 2024, 2:10:20 PM (12 days ago) Jun 22
to weewx-user
I'd just diff the two weewx.conf files and see if I missed editing anything into the new one.   Same with the skin.conf for the standard skin.

Or save the 'new' ones for safekeeping, drop the 'old' ones into place and restart weewx, and check your logs for errors.

vince

Jun 22, 2024, 2:12:14 PM (12 days ago) Jun 22
to weewx-user
I might add - you seem to have a pretty customized Standard skin (which is fine).   Personally I'd just scp -r the whole thing over into the skins directory as a different skin name such as MyCustomSkin and enable 'that' rather than Standard in your weewx.conf file.  That'll make you more weewx upgrade-proof.

bgra...@umw.edu

Jun 22, 2024, 7:09:28 PM (12 days ago) Jun 22
to weewx-user
Thanks, Vince, I’ll give it a try.