problems by installing NeoWX skin

Michael Stuhldreier

Jul 28, 2019, 8:12:12 AM7/28/19
to weewx-user
Hello guys,

i need help by installing the NeoWX skin.

My weewx is already running and now i want to upgrade to the neowx skin.

I have downloaded the "neowx-latest.zip" file and put it to /home/downloads.

Then i tried to install the extension
(see attached file "error.jpg")

But i also can´t copy the *.zip file to /etc/weewx, because i have no permissions to copy my downloaded zip file to this directory.

Please, is there anywhere a good instruction (for beginners like me .-) ) , how to install which file in which directory step by step?

Many thanks and BR
Michael
download.JPG
error.JPG

Pepe

Jul 28, 2019, 9:46:36 AM7/28/19
to weewx-user
Hi Michael

I had working NeoWX skin in the past with no problems. Have you take a look at the project on GitHub? ->

I followed the instructions explained there and did not have any problem.

The only different thing I remember that I did was download the latest version to /home/my_user/ instead of /home/my_user/Downloads/  and then in terminal with my_user -> wee_extension --install=neowx-x.x.zip and follow the rest of the setup process with the correct changes in weewx.conf as seen on GitHub

Best regards,
Pepe

vince

Jul 28, 2019, 11:58:40 AM7/28/19
to weewx-user
On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 5:12:12 AM UTC-7, Michael Stuhldreier wrote:
 can´t copy the *.zip file to /etc/weewx, because i have no permissions to copy my downloaded zip file to this directory.

This is the most frequently asked question in this group, I think.

If you have no permissions, it is because you are trying to write to a directory (/etc/weewx) that is owned by root, and you are probably running on a raspberry pi and are logged in as the default user 'pi'.   You need to remember to use 'sudo' before your commands.

So if you copied it to /home/downloads your command would likely be:

sudo /home/weewx/bin/wee_extension --install=/home/downloads/neo-latest.zip