Move to new server

Chris Thompstone

Nov 15, 2019, 7:01:46 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
Hi Guys,
My weewx v3.5 has been running perfect for about 5 years on my odroid u3.
Until the other day it stopped, I rebooted and found various messages in the logs suggesting filesystem corruption.

Anyway, it seems to be going again (for now)

But thought I'd try and move to new hardware.
I have been testing a network booted Raspberry Pi4 with no sd card. (maybe will run better without SD card etc)

This seems to run well.

So next is to install weewx on it.
I know I'm running an old version, but can I just copy over my v3.5 weewx from my odroid and enable the systemd service?
Or will this not work?
It's just I have various custom stuff I did years ago, and can't remeber how I did it.

I probably should upgrade, but it has been running so nicely, I thought I'd just stick with it as it is.

Thanks
Chris

Thomas Keffer

Nov 15, 2019, 8:20:21 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
You will have to install the prerequisites on your new machine but, other than that, a simple copy of the weewx files will work. If you installed using the setup.py method, just copy over the /home/weewx tree.

-tk

Chris Thompstone

Nov 15, 2019, 8:22:53 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
OK thanks will give that a try,
Chris

Chris Thompstone

Nov 15, 2019, 10:23:23 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
OK,
thought it was all OK, but I get this error when I run weewx manually:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weewx/reportengine.py", line 140, in run
    obj.start()
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weewx/reportengine.py", line 170, in start
    self.run()
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weewx/imagegenerator.py", line 31, in run
    self.genImages(self.gen_ts)
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weewx/imagegenerator.py", line 218, in genImages
    image = plot.render()
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weeplot/genplot.py", line 178, in render
    self._renderTopBand(draw)
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weeplot/genplot.py", line 383, in _renderTopBand
    font=unit_label_font)
  File "/home/weewx/bin/weeplot/genplot.py", line 578, in text
    return ImageDraw.ImageDraw.text(self, position, string, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageDraw.py", line 282, in text
    self.draw.draw_bitmap(xy, mask, ink)
TypeError: coordinate list must contain exactly 1 coordinate
[...]

any ideas?
Thanks

Thomas Keffer

Nov 15, 2019, 10:33:38 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
This is a bug that was fixed in V3.6.0. See issue #111 for the fix.

Don't know why the bug didn't affect you with v3.5.

-tk

p q

Nov 15, 2019, 10:51:03 AM11/15/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I bet the prerequisites are a different version than on the older system.

--
Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264

Chris Thompstone

Nov 15, 2019, 10:53:51 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
Just realised, did some googling, testing now.....

I think maybe it's to do with the newer python librarys I would have installed when setting up the pi

Cheers

On Friday, 15 November 2019 15:33:38 UTC, Thomas Keffer wrote:
This is a bug that was fixed in V3.6.0. See issue #111 for the fix.

Don't know why the bug didn't affect you with v3.5.

-tk

Thomas Keffer

Nov 15, 2019, 11:52:33 AM11/15/19
to weewx-user
The WeeWX prerequisites haven't changed in 10 years. It's possible that newer versions of PIL are more sensitive, but PIL hasn't changed much either.

Don't know.

-tk

Chris Thompstone

Nov 15, 2019, 1:32:28 PM11/15/19
to weewx-user
Seems all good now after those few hicups.
Will see how it holds up running on a pxe booted Pi4

Thanks again for the great software
Chris

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 7:33 AM Thomas Keffer <tke...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a bug that was fixed in V3.6.0. See issue #111 for the fix.

Don't know why the bug didn't affect you with v3.5.

-tk

Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264

vince

Nov 15, 2019, 2:17:28 PM11/15/19
to weewx-user
On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 10:32:28 AM UTC-8, Chris Thompstone wrote:
Seems all good now after those few hicups.
Will see how it holds up running on a pxe booted Pi4

I've been running the WeatherFlow UDP driver weewx on a pi4 for 5 months now.
Works great.

Chris Thompstone

Nov 15, 2019, 3:03:12 PM11/15/19
to weewx-user
Sorry guys slight issue with my bootstrap skin:

The font on the dials and graphs is tiny.
I must be missing some sort of font from my raspbian install (maybe?)

Any ideas, not sure what to check on this one.

Thanks
Chris