Unable to FTP to site hosted on NameCheap

Dan Gaecklein

Oct 14, 2021, 8:28:19 PM10/14/21
to weewx-user
Hi  all,

Having a bit of an issue using FTP  to move my report from Weewx to a website hosted by Namecheap. I keep receiving an error that /var/www/html/weewx/daytempfeel.png can't be found, even thought it's there. I can manually FTP everything fine, and my report populates with no problem. I also set up a website on Digital Ocean to test it and Weewx ftp'd data to that site with absolutely no problem.

I can't figure out for the life of me why FTPing to a site on NameCheap isn't working. I've attached a copy of the log. Hopefully thaere is enough info in there.

Weather station is an AcuRite 01536
Running Weewx 4.5.1 on aOdroid XU4

Thanks in advance.
weewx_ftp_errors

Tom Keffer

Oct 14, 2021, 10:49:47 PM10/14/21
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
FTP 553 errors are on the server side, so I suspect the error message is misleading us. Most likely it means that the server cannot create the file, rather than WeeWX is unable to find it.

Can you post your [[FTP]] section? Make sure you obfuscate the password first.

Dan Gaecklein

Oct 17, 2021, 9:09:57 AM10/17/21
to weewx-user
I've attached the FTP section.

I'm still scratching my head, so I really appreciate the help.

Thanks.
ftp

Tom Keffer

Oct 17, 2021, 9:33:20 AM10/17/21
to weewx-user
Assuming the user is 'gaecinvh', your FTP server may interpret

        path = /home/gaeclnvh/public_ftp/incoming

to mean literally /home/gaecinvh/public_ftp/incoming or even /home/gaecinvh/home/gaecinfh/public_ftp/incoming.  With this in mind, try

        path = /public_ftp/incoming

or

        path = public_ftp/incoming

Of course, whatever the destination, I am assuming that the user has write privileges to it (check!).

Dan Gaecklein

Oct 17, 2021, 11:27:41 AM10/17/21
to weewx-user
yep..that's all it was.  I updated the path and it works perfect. It's the simple things that get ya. Really appreciate it!