Bad marshal data during update now Weewx doesnt start

muire...@gmail.com

May 13, 2022, 4:38:58 AM5/13/22
to weewx-user
Hi, I'm running Weewx on Rasbian with a Davis Vantage Vue on Rasbian,
Just tried to update from 4.7.0 to 4.8.0-1 and am getting the following errors, any suggestions to fix please?

Configuration file '/etc/weewx/weewx.conf'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** weewx.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n
Installing new version of config file /etc/weewx/weewx.conf.dist ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/weewx/wee_config", line 12, in <module>
    from weecfg.config import ConfigEngine, Logger
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weecfg/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    import weeutil.weeutil
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weeutil/weeutil.py", line 14, in <module>
    import calendar
ValueError: bad marshal data (string ref out of range)
dpkg: error processing package weewx (--configure):
 installed weewx package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit                                                                                                                                                   status 1

matthew wall

May 13, 2022, 10:22:01 AM5/13/22
to weewx-user
On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 4:38:58 AM UTC-4 muire...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi, I'm running Weewx on Rasbian with a Davis Vantage Vue on Rasbian,
Just tried to update from 4.7.0 to 4.8.0-1 and am getting the following errors, any suggestions to fix please?

which python are you using? which version of rasbian?  how did you initiate the update?

try deleting the compiled python files.  for python2, delete them like this:

sudo find /usr/share/weewx -name '*.pyc' -delete

then do the update again.

muire...@gmail.com

May 16, 2022, 9:47:24 AM5/16/22
to weewx-user
Thanks Matthew, I think it may have been corruption of the os, even a full removal of Weewx and attempted reinstall didnt fix, gave the same error.
I did a clean install on another Pi with a new sdcard and it went fine, apart from one tmpl file not process, i'll ask about that on a separate thread.