weewx and apache WS

Eric Gammeter

Sep 1, 2021, 7:20:58 AM9/1/21
to weewx-user
Wondering if / how I can interface my WEEWX application with a WEB SERVER (apache) and port that to my web site.??  Basically I am looking for other reporting options.

vince

Sep 1, 2021, 1:31:02 PM9/1/21
to weewx-user
Not understanding what you're asking, but does the wiki (link) help any ?

t...@tom.org

Sep 2, 2021, 7:51:39 AM9/2/21
to weewx-user
In addition to using a web server on the same "machine" (whether actual or virtual), one can also use secure FTP or rsync via weewx.conf to have weewx stick the HTML in a specific directory on an existing web server. I use this technique ot use one web server and virtual hosts to serve weewx HTML for five stations.

So, a couple of ways to do what it sounds like what you're looking for, but as Vice says, it would be good to know more about what you're looking to do.

Eric Gammeter

Sep 7, 2021, 9:35:54 AM9/7/21
to weewx-user
OK-  I would like to see my WEEWX HTML web page on my LAN-  not have to go to the internet.  Thanks for your input Tom and Vince!
/Eric G.

Eric Gammeter

Sep 7, 2021, 9:36:49 AM9/7/21
to weewx-user
WEEWX INDEX html page.

Rainer Lang

Sep 7, 2021, 4:08:06 PM9/7/21
to Eric Gammeter, weewx-user

weewx puts the index.html and related include files (*.inc) and pictures into the directory which is defined in weewx.conf by HTML_ROOT=
in the [StdReport] section
If weewx is installed on the same server as apache2, the default directory would be /var/www/html/weewx where the apache web server
would pick up the index.html when requested by a http(s) call - e.g. http://URL/weewx or http://IP-address/weewx
(depending on your weewx installation method the paths maybe be different from the above example - see weewx installation guide)

If your web site is different from the weewx server, some web server (e.g. apache2) will have to run on this web site and it will also have a HTML root directory, often /www/... or /public_html/...

If you create a directory under your web server root directory (not the server root but the web server root !) e.g. ./weewx, you have to copy the files generated by weewx into the local HTML_ROOT/weewx directory into the remote web site server's directory e.g. /public_html/weewx
this could than be read by a browser with http://your-web-site-URL/weewx

Usually this is done via FTP. You can use the [[FTP]] section in [StdReport] of weewx.conf to post/copy/upload (all synonyms here) to your web site
see below
at each archiving cycle (default 300 seconds = 5 min) the files for e.g. the Seasons skin will then be sent to your web site
(provided you use the Seasons skin)
the [[FTP]] either uses as source the default HTML_ROOT directly under [StdReport]] or an extra HTML_ROOT which you define in the [[FTP]] stanza.

#************************ excerpt from weewx.conf start **************
[StdReport]
    # Where the skins reside, relative to WEEWX_ROOT
    SKIN_ROOT = /etc/weewx/skins

    # Where the generated reports should go, relative to WEEWX_ROOT
    HTML_ROOT = your-default-html-root-on-your-weewx-server

    # The database binding indicates which data should be used in reports.
    data_binding = wx_binding

    # Whether to log a successful operation
    log_success = True

    # Whether to log an unsuccessful operation
    log_failure = True

    # Each of the following subsections defines a report that will be run.
    # See the customizing guide to change the units, plot types and line
    # colors, modify the fonts, display additional sensor data, and other
    # customizations. Many of those changes can be made here by overriding
    # parameters, or by modifying templates within the skin itself.

    [[SeasonsReport]]
        # The SeasonsReport uses the 'Seasons' skin, which contains the
        # images, templates and plots for the report.
        skin = Seasons
        enable = true
# .................
# .................

[[FTP]]
        # FTP'ing the results to a webserver is treated as just another report,
        # albeit one with an unusual report generator!
        skin = Ftp

        # If you wish to use FTP, set "enable" to "true", then
        # fill out the next four lines.
        # Use quotes around passwords to guard against parsing errors.

        enable = true
        user = your-(ftp)user-name at your web site
        password = your-password-at-your-web-site
        server =    # fhe ftp server name, e.g, www.myserver.org
        path =    # The destination directory, e.g., /weather , or /weewx or /www/weewx depending on your hosting site

        # Set to True for an FTP over TLS (FTPS) connection. Not all servers
        # support this.
        secure_ftp = False

        # To upload files from something other than what HTML_ROOT is set directly under [StdReport]
        # to above, specify a different HTML_ROOT here.
        HTML_ROOT = your-html-root-on-your-weewx-server-from-where-you-want-to-upload-our files-to-your-web-site
        # e.g. /var/www/html/weewx
        # where the cheetah generator puts all the html, *.png etc. files

#************************ excerpt from weewx.conf end **************

Eric Gammeter

Sep 15, 2021, 3:18:34 PM9/15/21
to weewx-user
Thank you "lang"....    I believe your description of what you think I am trying to do IS ACCURATE!  I thank you for that....  Now, I just have to break it down to try to implement it.
Basically:   I have WEEWX 4.5.1 running on my RaspberryPi3.  My Vantage Vue is connected to that same Rpi via USB cable.  WEEWX generates all the HTML files and I have my config file set to FTP it all to my web site (N8AAY.NET).  What I am now interested in doing is to add Apache Server to the Rpi and then I could access my WEEWX web site from whithin my own lan.
I see this as a personal trial to implement an Apache server on my own LAN.  Thanks much.
I will take all your notes above and run with them!  /E