Help on choosing a new weather station

George Michalopoulos

Oct 14, 2021, 3:50:05 PM10/14/21
to weewx-user
hello all,

i had a WMR968, running for years, but 3 years ago i moved to a new house and my weather station remained in a bag.
today i decided to setup it but i found many broken elements, i searched for spare parts, there are no available, so i tried to connect the console to my RPI3, using weewx.
I made it with the first try, and now i am graphing the only one working sensor, in house :)

Well, i need your help to choose another weather station..
The outdoor unit has to be solar (although i have an Ethernet cable to the location i will place it),
a big fancy color display would be nice,
and of course i would like to add 4-5 indoor sensors.
Oh, it would be nice not to give a kidney to buy it :)

can you please help me on choosing ?

regards,
George

vince

Oct 14, 2021, 4:19:38 PM10/14/21
to weewx-user
What kind of price point do you need to hit ?

Which sensors do you need ?  How many ?  Inside ?  Outside ?   Do you want to run LAN-only or is ok if the station needs to connect out to a vendor site to be able to function ?   How accurate do you need to be ?

Ecowitt has a variety of options and they support multiple indoor sensors and the weewx driver is rock-solid on a pi, but you 'do' need to let the gateway phone home to China and to the Internet NTP servers for its watchdog timers.  https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsPage/1/28 has their various offerings.

I did Ecowitt gateway and multiple sensors (3 indoor, 1 outdoor, 1 soil, and the built-in indoor sensor the gateway provides) without a display and rolled my own display with HomeAssistant on a pi.  I think I spent about $100 in total plus the pi.   I didn't do Ecowitt wind+rain sensors but they can be added easily as can a display....or go with an integrated full station and add more indoor room sensors.  Lots of ways to get there.

George Michalopoulos

Oct 14, 2021, 4:51:17 PM10/14/21
to weewx-user
Hello and thank you for the prompt reply,

well, i need an outdoor set of sensors including rain, wind direction, wind speed, barometer, temperature and humidity, solar with backup battery.
and some indoor sensors, for temperature and humidity
as i already setup my old wmr968 display unit with weewx, i would prefer a serial or usb connection.
also I'd prefer not to connect to anyone, just leave the weewx to do the job :)

George Michalopoulos

Oct 15, 2021, 5:59:52 AM10/15/21
to weewx-user
well, after many hours of reading and thanks to Vince, i decided to go the Ecowitt way, because its modular, reliable and relatively cheap.

so, i'm waiting for:
1 GW1104 Wi-Fi Weather Station Gateway
4 WH31 multi-channel temperature and humidity sensors
1 WH41 PM2.5 air quality sensors
1 WH57 lightning sensor
1 WS68 wireless anemometer
1 WH40 self-emptying rain gauge sensor

directly from Ecowitt site..

I suppose in a few weeks, i will annoy you more :)
thank you for the support!