pip/python error attempting upgrade to WeeWX 5

G Hammer

May 1, 2023, 10:04:08 PM5/1/23
to weewx-development
I just tried to upgrade WeeWX and during the prereqs, this error was shown and the upgrade failed.
See pip-error.txt attached

pip-error.txt

Tom Keffer

May 2, 2023, 7:28:08 AM5/2/23
to G Hammer, weewx-development
It would be nice to see the context. What command did you use? Where did you run it from?

One possibility: did you run pip from /home/wx? If so, perhaps pip saw setup.cfg and tried to honor it. Again, we need the context to diagnose.

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 7:04 PM G Hammer <gary....@gmail.com> wrote:
I just tried to upgrade WeeWX and during the prereqs, this error was shown and the upgrade failed.
See pip-error.txt attached

G Hammer

May 2, 2023, 9:59:05 AM5/2/23
to weewx-development
Sorry, here's the full session start to finish.
It should provide the needed info.
Yes, it was run from /home/wx

But this seems to be a pip issue.

Meantime, no upgrade. Not that's it is needed, just wanting to stay current with the alphas for testing.
wx-upg.txt

G Hammer

May 2, 2023, 10:00:02 AM5/2/23
to weewx-development
Running from a different directory does not change the results.

Tom Keffer

May 2, 2023, 10:49:15 AM5/2/23
to G Hammer, weewx-development
Can you check what's in /home/wx/bin?

ls -l /home/wx/bin

G Hammer

May 2, 2023, 10:52:03 AM5/2/23
to weewx-development
Nothing.
[wx@wx-tab ~]$ ls -l /home/wx/bin
ls: cannot access '/home/wx/bin': No such file or directory
[wx@wx-tab ~]$

Tom Keffer

May 2, 2023, 4:54:15 PM5/2/23
to G Hammer, weewx-development
Well, you've got me stumped! I assume you tried upgrading pip?

G Hammer

May 2, 2023, 5:14:48 PM5/2/23
to weewx-development
I did.
I'll spin up a new container tomorrow and see if I can reproduce this.