Alpha version of 4.6.0 available

Tom Keffer

May 24, 2021, 1:10:21 PM5/24/21
to weewx-development
The key new feature is improved internationalization. The Seasons skin is available in English, German, French, Greek, and Thai right out of the box. I'd like to see some more languages, particularly Spanish.

CHANGE LOG:
Easy localization of all skins that come with WeeWX. Big thanks to user Karen,
who drove the effort! PR #665.

Allow options --date, --from, and --to to be used with wee_database --reweight.
PR #659. Thanks to user edi-x!

Added Cheetah helper functions $jsonize(), $rnd(), and $to_int().

Added conversions for unix_epoch_ms and unix_epoch_ns. Calculations in
celestial.inc now explicitly use unix_epoch.

Added almanac attribute "visible" and "visible_change". For example,
$almanac.sun.visible returns the amount of daylight, $almanac.sun.visible_change
the difference since yesterday.

Fixed problem that could cause weather xtypes services not to shut down
properly. PR #672. Thanks again to user edi-x!

Added Cheetah tag $filename, the relative path of the generated file. Useful
for setting canonical URLs. PR #671. Thanks again to user Karen!

XType get_scalar() and get_series() calls can now take extra keyword arguments.
PR #673.

Joel Bion

May 24, 2021, 1:13:07 PM5/24/21
to Tom Keffer, weewx-development
Wow - I love the two almanac additions! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

mbat...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 1:38:36 PM5/24/21
to weewx-development
4.6.0a3 running here with Seasons skin... looking great!

t...@tom.org

May 25, 2021, 7:54:39 AM5/25/21
to weewx-development
If anyone wants to play with this (or any version in the last several years), feel free to use the Docker image I maintain:

For example, from the directory that stores weewx.conf, I run this:

docker run -it --rm --volume `pwd`/weewx.conf:/home/weewx/weewx.conf mitct02/weewx:4.6.0a3

The image is fat and I have not taken the time to optimize it, but it works. I tend to keep up with newer releases and pre-releases.

Questions, comments, contributions welcome.

wee...@gmx.de

May 27, 2021, 5:15:56 AM5/27/21
to weewx-development
Hi Tom,

I have updated an existing installation with setup.py (4.3 -> 4.6.0a3).
However, no lang directories were created in the skins directories (Mobile, Seasons, Smartphone, Standard).
Do I have to pay special attention to anything during the upgrade, or have I overlooked something?

Michael

Tom Keffer

May 27, 2021, 8:05:56 AM5/27/21
to weewx-development
That is as it should be. The upgrade process never touches skins. Too risky!

If you want to take advantage of the internationalized skins, you'll have to remove (or set aside) your skins subdirectory, then re-install.

Alternatively, you can copy over the new skins subdirectory from the tarball to a new place, then set SKIN_ROOT in weewx.conf to point to it.

Tom Keffer

May 30, 2021, 9:50:26 PM5/30/21
to weewx-development
Version 4.6.0a4 available. setup.py and Debian only.

Option "units" is now called "unit_system".