Clock drift and loop packet time resolution

Cameron D

Mar 7, 2021, 3:57:47 AM3/7/21
to weewx-development
For those who do not live in North America or Europe, the Oregon WMR300 offers no correction to clock drift beyond manually prodding the console touch-pad.
Mine drifts by about 90 seconds per year - not much, but enough to be irritating.
Moreover, the loop packet data reports time only to the nearest minute, or archive interval (not sure which, as my archive is 60 seconds).
I am proposing an option in the driver to ignore the console time and simply use the system timestamp in loop packets, with a one second resolution - this seems to be what the Davis driver uses.
Does anybody know of any potential problems if I do this? One I can see is drift between time in the stored history and live database archive records, but I am happy to live with this for my purposes. For those on a 300 second archive interval it would be even less of a problem.

Cameron D

Mar 7, 2021, 8:03:21 AM3/7/21
to weewx-development
Forget this - I was looking at raw packet data instead of returned data.