Volunteer translators needed!

Tom Keffer

May 7, 2021, 7:30:05 PM5/7/21
to weewx-development
Thanks to user Karen, a key feature of the up-and-coming V4.6 is easy localization of the skins that come with WeeWX. Right now, they have all been localized to English, but only one (Seasons) to another language (German). I'd like to see more translations before the release.

The easiest way to handle this is with Pull Requests on GitHub. Pick a skin and target language, then write a configuration file for it.

For example, say you want to do a French translation for the Standard skin.

1. Create a clone of the weewx repository. Checkout the "development" branch.

2. Identify the "lang" subdirectory for the target skin. In this case, it would be skins/Standard/lang.

3. Copy the existing english configuration file en.conf, to fr.conf, your new French translation.

cd skins/Standard/conf
cp en.conf fr.conf

4. Then go through
fr.conf, supplying translations for all the entries. For example,

    "Current Conditions" = Current Conditions
    "Current Weather Conditions"  = Current Weather Conditions
    "Day" = Day
    "from" = "from"     # Direction context. The wind is "from" the NE
    "High Barometer" = High Barometer

might become

    "Current Conditions" = Conditions Actuelles
    "Current Weather Conditions"  = Conditions Météorologiques Actuelles
    "Day" = Jour
    "from" = de     # Direction context. The wind is "from" the NE
    "High Barometer" = Baromètre haut

5. Commit, then submit the PR.

If messing with Git and GitHub is too complicated, just tell me which skin and language you would like to translate, and I'll email the English version to you. You can translate it, then email it back.

Please: native or fluent speakers only! We don't need Google translations!

Thanks all!

-tk

bth...@gmail.com

May 8, 2021, 5:17:04 AM5/8/21
to weewx-development
Could you simply send me the en.conf file and I'll translate it to Thai. Then send it back to you?

Tom Keffer

May 8, 2021, 8:01:02 AM5/8/21
to bth...@gmail.com, weewx-development
Here's the english configuration file for Seasons.

en.conf
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

bth...@gmail.com

May 9, 2021, 3:41:43 AM5/9/21
to weewx-development
This is the translation from English to Thai.
th.conf

Karen K

May 11, 2021, 1:29:11 PM5/11/21
to weewx-development
I realize there is not much traffic on this thread. I wonder if we could address more people if we publish this request to the user's group instead. People do not need knowledge in Python to do the translation. So pure users could contribute, too. What do you think?

Tom Keffer

May 11, 2021, 7:50:45 PM5/11/21
to Karen K, weewx-development
I agree.

Hey, while I have you, how about translations for

windrun = Wind Run
"Max Wind"        = Max Wind
"Average Wind"    = Average Wind
"RMS Wind"        = RMS Wind
"Vector Average"  = Vector Average
"Vector Direction"= Vector Direction

"Connectivity"    = Connectivity

"Hardware"        = Hardware
"Server uptime"   = Server uptime
"WeeWX uptime"    = WeeWX uptime
"WeeWX version"   = WeeWX version

"Telemetry"       = "Telemetry"

"Rain (hourly total)" = Rain (hourly total)
"Rain (daily total)"  = Rain (daily total)
"Rain (weekly total)" = Rain (weekly total)

Karen K

May 13, 2021, 10:03:52 AM5/13/21
to weewx-development
# If there is not enough space on the page for "Windstärke", you can simply use "Wind" instead.
# For the same reason you could use "mittlere Windstärke" (or even "mittl. Wind") instead of "Windstärke (Durchschnitt)"
# "Max Wind" or "Wind Max" would work in german, too.
# RMS = root main square = Effektivwert

windrun = Windverlauf
"Max Wind"        = Windstärke (Maximum)
"Average Wind"    = Windstärke (Durchschnitt)
"RMS Wind"        = Windstärke (Effektivwert)
"Vector Average"  = Windstärke                       # in case where I found it in Standard skin
"Vector Direction"= Windrichtung

"Connectivity"    = Verbindungsqualität  # in case of Seasons/sensors.inc

"Hardware"        = Hardware  # the English word is used in Germany, too
"Server uptime"   = "Server-Laufzeit"
"WeeWX uptime"    = "WeeWX-Laufzeit"
"WeeWX version"   = "WeeWX-Version"

"Telemetry"       = "Telemetrie"

"Rain (hourly total)" = Regen (stündlich gesamt)
"Rain (daily total)"  = Regen (täglich gesamt)
"Rain (weekly total)" = Regen (wöchentlich gesamt)

Tom Keffer

May 13, 2021, 8:24:18 PM5/13/21
to Karen K, weewx-development

Here's the final German results: https://weewx.com/de/

let me know if there are any issues.

-tk

Karen K

May 14, 2021, 3:05:55 AM5/14/21
to weewx-development
"Battery Status" = Batteriestatus
"Voltage" = Spannung
"Konsolenbatteriestatus" ==> "Konsolenbatteriespannung" as the word is located in the voltage section, not in the status section

As "Außentemperatursensorbatteriestatus" and all those words are very long and the word "Batteriestatus" is in the head line, I would suggest to shorten those words by removing "batteriestatus". The same could apply to the voltage section, where you could remove "spannung" at the end of the words.

Tom Keffer

May 14, 2021, 9:55:29 AM5/14/21
to Karen K, weewx-development
Done. Take a look now: https://weewx.com/de/

So many details! Once we get these taken care of, I will appeal to weewx-user for more translations.

Karen K

May 14, 2021, 11:17:19 AM5/14/21
to weewx-development
You are right. Some languages are difficult, and german is among them.

"Versorgungsspannung" = "Versorgung" + "Spannung"

There is an additional "s" between them, if they are put together, called "gap s". Sorry that I did not mention it before. Sometimes that "s" is inserted, sometimes not. It depends on the words (and additionally sometimes it depends on whether you are government/military or not).

valken...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2021, 6:56:28 AM6/9/21
to weewx-development
Dear Tom,

I created dutch (NL) translations for the skins. I tried a commit to github, but I'm unfamiliair with how github exactly works. I don't see my files showing up (?) Maybe I did not follow the right procedure, but I wanted to let you know I made the translations anyway.

Tom Keffer

Jun 9, 2021, 8:41:47 AM6/9/21
to valken...@gmail.com, weewx-development
Thank you!

The right way to do this is to create a fork of the weewx repository on GitHub. Then clone the fork onto your computer. Make your changes in the development branch on your computer. Then push the changes back to your fork on GitHub. Now you have a replica of weewx on GitHub under your own account, but with your changes.

Then open a "Pull Request" (PR) from GitHub. I will see it and can then either accept or reject the changes.

If you get lost, there are many tutorials on PRs on the web.

Having said all this, I will be away with only very sporadic internet access over the next month, so it may take some time before I can get to it.

-tk

valken...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2021, 9:34:07 AM6/9/21
to weewx-development

Thnx Tom, creating my own fork did the trick. Pull request has been done. (I made translations to my best effort. However, some finetuning may be needed once in a production environment. )Glad to have the opportunity to make a contribution tot weewx in return for all your work.

Tom Keffer

Jun 14, 2021, 3:52:24 PM6/14/21
to valken...@gmail.com, weewx-development
Thanks again. Your PR has been incorporated into the development branch.

Here's what the results look like: https://weewx.com/nl/

Look it over and see if there are any mistakes.

-tk

valken...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 5:32:05 AM6/15/21
to weewx-development
Great! I spotted a few small errors/typos. I made corrections, and did a new pull request on Github.

Gérard Parat

Jul 19, 2021, 4:53:54 PM7/19/21
to weewx-development
Hi Tom,

I added a PR for the initial french translation of Standard skin.

Gérard