Database encoding issue persists in WV 1.1

joh

Oct 23, 2010, 4:21:35 PM10/23/10
to WebVelocity
Hi,

I've detected the same problem with WebVelocity 1.1. Now it is the
class PostgreSQLConnection where the method

stringEncodingName
stringEncodingName isNil ifTrue: [stringEncodingName := #utf8].
^stringEncodingName

has to be changed.

Best regards
Johannes

On 7 Jul. 2009, 08:30, "masashi.umezawa" <masashi.umez...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried Web Velocity for the first time. Thanks for the really nice
> product!
> However, I've encountered an encoding error when I tried to store
> multibyte strings to PostgreSQL.
> I've just made a blog sample according to the walkthrough tutorial.
>
> The error seems to be related to PostgreSQLDriver's default encoding
> settings. So I've changed the code.
>
> PostgreSQLDriver>>stringEncodingName
> stringEncodingName isNil ifTrue: [stringEncodingName := #utf8].
> ^stringEncodingName
>
> By using #utf8 instead of #default, multibyte strings were stored/
> retrieved correctly.
>
> Is there more elegant way to set the database connection encoding? I
> think it would be better if I can set such settings via Web Velocity's
> database configuration menu. (Or even better it would be set
> automatically?)
>
> Best regards,
> ---
> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

Michael Lucas-Smith

Oct 25, 2010, 2:04:27 PM10/25/10
to webve...@googlegroups.com
Yes there's definitely something going on here. Your patch will work for you, but it needs to determine the encoding of the database you're connected to. There may be issues in the other database drivers too, so we're looking in to this.

Michael