Something is wrong: the documentation or the implementation of WV 1.1

Dr. Johannes Brauer

Sep 23, 2010, 2:35:39 AM9/23/10
to WebVelocity
The WV documentation says:

>Undeclared Variables
>This is an error that appears when you are using a variable that has
not been declared within the method. It may be a temporary, instance,
or class variable. In VisualWorks, you are prompted to create the
variable. In WebVelocity, the expression following the >variable is
highlighted in red and you must correct the error before the method
can be saved."

But if you introduce an undeclared variable while writing a method it
is compiled without an error message and the variable is declared
behind the scenes (where actually?).

I find this an annoying behavior.

Joh.

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Johannes Brauer
Fachbereichsleiter Informatik
Tel.: 04121 409030
Fax.: 04121 409040
e-mail: bra...@nordakademie.de
e-mal priv.: bra...@acm.org

________________________________

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Elmshorn, HRB 1682

Michael Lucas-Smith

Sep 23, 2010, 2:39:37 AM9/23/10
to webve...@googlegroups.com
You're right, it's getting declared as a global, until you declare it as an inst var or temp yourself -- which might be hard to do if you don't notice it.

Michael

Dr. Johannes Brauer

Sep 23, 2010, 3:10:13 PM9/23/10
to webve...@googlegroups.com
Is there any chance to get the WV 1.0 behavior back?

Johannes

Michael Lucas-Smith

Sep 23, 2010, 3:29:58 PM9/23/10
to webve...@googlegroups.com
I've made the AR for it. While we're handling compilation errors correctly, we're not handling compilation warnings at all - we really need to provide that information in the UI and in this particular case, provide you a way to add it as an instance variable right then and there.

Michael