Proxy, OnDemand, and reliability

John Lammers

Apr 19, 2013, 2:20:23 PM4/19/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I use WebSync OnDemand for its reliability. It's always seemed to me that adding a server-side proxy (as in http://api.frozenmountain.com/websync3/index.html#class=on-demand-server-side-code-proxies) would dramatically reduce the reliability, because the proxy would (presumably) run on my (non-reliable) server. If the work of the proxy is non-critical, I could fall back to using OnDemand directly, but that's a big "if" and it makes the client code more complex.

Is it assumed that, if you're using a server-side proxy, you put it on a reliable hosting infrastructure, or am I missing something?

Anton Venema

Apr 19, 2013, 2:26:44 PM4/19/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Generally speaking, yes, the proxy should be on a reliable server. If you are hosting a web application, embed the proxy in your web application since one isn't useful without the other.

If you aren't using WebSync On-Demand in a browser-based application, then for strict reliability, you'd probably want to set up your proxy on two or more servers in a load-balanced/failover environment. Keep in mind that the proxy is stateless, so a stateless environment like Windows Azure would do well here.

Anton Venema
Frozen Mountain Software
604-227-2458 (Canada)
919-300-5520 (United States)