Impact of Proxy Servers on Websync

Scott

Apr 1, 2013, 8:54:52 PM4/1/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
We provide a web-based CRM application and are using Websync to push administrative messages to the users' browsers. For some of our larger clients, they require users to connect through a proxy server on their network or in other cases use Websense for filtering content. We've seen that when the user is behind a proxy the messages to the those users are blocked.

We are also considering using Websense to provide a live chat option where web visitors can request assistance, and we use Websync to pass the messaging between the client and agent. However, we're wondering how we will handle the situation where the customer is behind a proxy server, websense, or other filtering application.

Jerod Venema

Apr 1, 2013, 9:03:29 PM4/1/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scott!

Generally speaking, proxies aren't a problem. WebSync clients (not the server) initiate the requests, and use standard .NET HTTP requests, which follow the user's IE settings by default; no additional configuration needed. Here's a stackoverflow post asking (basically) the same thing:

As noted in that post, if you need to specify them for some reason, you can override the settings. You can do so declaratively, in the config:

<system.net>
  <defaultProxy>
    <proxy
      proxyaddress="http://[your proxy address and port number]"
      bypassonlocal="false"
    />
  </defaultProxy>
</system.net>

Or you can handle the "OnRequestCreated" event in WebSync and manually set it in the actual HTTP request itself.

Best,

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Scott <scottew...@gmail.com> wrote:
We provide a web-based CRM application and are using Websync to push administrative messages to the users' browsers. For some of our larger clients, they require users to connect through a proxy server on their network or in other cases use Websense for filtering content. We've seen that when the user is behind a proxy the messages to the those users are blocked.

We are also considering using Websense to provide a live chat option where web visitors can request assistance, and we use Websync to pass the messaging between the client and agent. However, we're wondering how we will handle the situation where the customer is behind a proxy server, websense, or other filtering application.

Jerod Venema
Frozen Mountain Software
919-300-5141 (United States)
604-227-2453 (Canada)