NodeJS client

Roy Jacobs

Mar 22, 2013, 6:20:11 AM3/22/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

About a year ago someone asked here about the possibility of a NodeJS client. It was mentioned that it would be considered for WebSync 4 but, alas, it is not there. Is it still being planned?

With regards,
Roy

Jerod Venema

Mar 22, 2013, 8:15:41 AM3/22/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hey Roy!

It's on the list, but it's never really made it up in priority :). It's possible that our "normal" JS client will work - it's pretty separated from any sort of DOM structure.

Just out of curiosity, what's your use-case?

Best,

Jerod Venema
Frozen Mountain Software
919-300-5141 (United States)
604-227-2453 (Canada)
888-379-6686 (Extension 101)

Roy Jacobs

Mar 22, 2013, 8:22:57 AM3/22/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
We're trying to connect a Faye client to a WebSync server and this isn't really working all that well. My colleagues have been experimenting on and off with this for a few months now. Although it should theoretically work, currently publishing a single message from WebSync to Faye works, but any following message doesn't arrive until I restart the NodeJS code.

There have been a few workarounds mentioned in this group and on the Faye group that help things along, but I was thinking that I'd much prefer to simply use the existing WebSync client and resolve any compatibility issues that way :)

Roy Jacobs

Mar 22, 2013, 8:23:54 AM3/22/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Btw, we are still on the latest release of WebSync 3, not 4.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Roy Jacobs <roy.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
We're trying to connect a Faye client to a WebSync server and this isn't really working all that well. My colleagues have been experimenting on and off with this for a few months now. Although it should theoretically work, currently publishing a single message from WebSync to Faye works, but any following message doesn't arrive until I restart the NodeJS code.

There have been a few workarounds mentioned in this group and on the Faye group that help things along, but I was thinking that I'd much prefer to simply use the existing WebSync client and resolve any compatibility issues that way :)

Jerod Venema

Mar 22, 2013, 8:26:52 AM3/22/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha. If you have a sec, try out v4; I know we added a couple tweaks in there specifically to handle communication from other libs, and the JS is much more abstracted than v3. I expect at the very least you'll be able to get more insight into what's going on...

If you want to drop me a note off-list to help diagnose something, feel free.

Roy Jacobs

Mar 22, 2013, 8:28:49 AM3/22/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Ok, will do.