Working Sample???

asp2go

Dec 4, 2010, 7:21:57 PM12/4/10
to webstorageportabilitylayer
Does anyone have a working sample or notes on how to get this fully
working? I've tried changing the items noted in the Issues and read
through all of the threads but still no luck.

It seems like this could be an excellent toolset but so far no luck.

Thanks!

Rob Kroeger

Dec 14, 2010, 7:43:43 AM12/14/10
to webstoragepor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Saturday, December 4, 2010, asp2go <absolute...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a working sample or notes on how to get this fully
> working? I've tried changing the items noted in the Issues and read
> through all of the threads but still no luck.

That it doesn't work would be my bad. Once Gears was EOL-ed, we
stopped maintaining the Gears side of the library. And I never had the
demos working very well. (Though the library use to work as it was
live in production in mobile webapp Gmail.)

If you're doing new development on desktop, it would probably be
better to target IndexedDB
(http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndexedDB/raw-file/tip/Overview.html) as it is
available in Chrome, Safari, IE9 (afaik) and FF4.

If you're doing new dev on mobile, you probably have webkit available
and can use the WSPL support for SQL databases to make your life
easier.

> It seems like this could be an excellent toolset but so far no luck.

Sorry.

Rob.

> Thanks!
>
> --

Rob Kroeger
rjkr...@liqui.org
http://www.liqui.org

James Davies

Dec 16, 2010, 8:33:46 AM12/16/10
to webstoragepor...@googlegroups.com
Rob - thanks for the response. I'm aware of the coming IndexedDB standard but would prefer to see a Sql Db standard moving forward - there are just a lot of scenarios where a DB like SQLite makes a lot of sense and with triggers and variations such as SQLCipher encryption it opens up more opportunities.
I also believe that the Gears ability to go beyond 5MB is a significant benefit in a lot of cases. Will continue to review the library and see whether it makes sense to continue working with it.
Thanks!

Denny Daugherty

Feb 1, 2011, 5:22:55 PM2/1/11
to webstorageportabilitylayer
I was able to get this working, but it required a few modifications to
the WSPL source. For instance, I had to concatenate a few files into
the script it calls in the background when performing a transaction.
There were a few other complications as well, but it just took some
time chasing after the errors to figure it out.

We're currently using it in a production application to provide cross-
browser offline storage, and so far it's working quite well.

Granted, eventually IndexedDB will be the de facto standard with broad
support, but gears and web sql will still be relevant for a few years
for those inclined enough to use them until browsers catch up to the
standard.