November updates for WSPL?

1 view

Brian

Oct 30, 2009, 8:33:26 PM10/30/09
to webstorageportabilitylayer
Are there November updates for WSPL? I've been unable to get the
SimpleNotes demo to work. It would be great if we could have a clean,
working demo on FireFox, IE, Safari and Chrome.

What are there any version / platform dependencies across the
different browsers?

It would be ideal if doc include working demos corresponding to what
Gears provides? So,

Database Demo
File System Demo
Geolocation Demo
ResourceStore Demo
ManagedResourceStore Demo
Shortcut Demo
WorkerPool Demo

It's cool code - hoping to put it to use!

Thanks...

tazz_ben

Nov 1, 2009, 5:07:32 PM11/1/09
to webstorageportabilitylayer
Brian -

You have to add the gears_init.js file from the Google Gears site to
the app before simple notes will work. We have WSPL working in a
couple of our products on the android browser and iPhone/Touch
browsers. It does not work on the Pre. As for the desktop versions,
there are issues in any browser that uses gears compared to HTML5
databases. Due to this you should really use Safari for testing
before moving the product to the target mobile devices.

Rob

Nov 4, 2009, 6:55:13 AM11/4/09
to webstorageportabilitylayer
It's my bad that I still haven't finished the patches and posted them.
Simple notes deserves more time than I spend on it.

On Nov 1, 5:07 pm, tazz_ben <b...@wbpsystems.com> wrote:
> Brian -
>
> You have to add the gears_init.js file from the Google Gears site to
> the app before simple notes will work.  We have WSPL working in a
> couple of our products on the android browser and iPhone/Touch
> browsers.  It does not work on the Pre.

AFAIK as we can tell, Pre doesn't do HTML5 databases correctly. And
Android 2.0 devices have HTML5 databases instead of Gears so
production use will need to adjust the application appropriately for
different Android versions.

> As for the desktop versions,
> there are issues in any browser that uses gears compared to HTML5
> databases.  Due to this you should really use Safari for testing
> before moving the product to the target mobile devices.

Yes.

Rob.

tazz_ben

Nov 7, 2009, 12:45:44 PM11/7/09
to webstorageportabilitylayer
Hi Rob -

> It's my bad that I still haven't finished the patches and posted them.
> Simple notes deserves more time than I spend on it.

Any ETA on this?

> AFAIK as we can tell, Pre doesn't do HTML5 databases correctly.

Do you have any further details on this? I've been trying to modify
WSPL to work with the pre, but the debugger in the pre sucks. It
seems to throw errors near where it ran into issues, so you are never
sure why something is failing.

> And
> Android 2.0 devices have HTML5 databases instead of Gears so
> production use will need to adjust the application appropriately for
> different Android versions.

I've tested WSPL in Android 2.0 and it seems to be working fine.
However, I've tested it in the emulator not on a device as I don't
have a new phone that is using 2 yet. Is there an issue I'm not aware
of?