Ruby Enterprise and WebROaR

Bruno Guimarães Sousa

Jun 9, 2010, 5:56:40 PM6/9/10
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Installed ruby enterprise edition 1.8.7-2010.02 and now i'm trying to install webroar.
Don't know where to find the dynamic ruby library (libruby.so) for it. Read http://groups.google.com/group/webroar/browse_thread/thread/30502a739701534a?pli=1 and none of those solutions worked.
Here is the error:
# webroar install
Checking for the dependencies ...
Checking for ruby........found   at /usr/local/ree/bin/ruby.
Checking for libruby.so.1.8.7........not found.
Unable to find libruby.so.1.8.7 at /usr/lib.
Checking for openssl-ruby........found.
Checking for zlib-ruby........found.
Checking for ruby_headers........found   at /usr/local/ree/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux/ruby.h.
Checking for rubygems........found.
Checking for gcc........found   at /usr/bin/gcc.
Checking for make........found   at /usr/bin/make.
Checking for libsqlite3.so........found   at /usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.
Checking for sqlite3.h........found   at /usr/include/sqlite3.h.
Checking for starling........found   at /usr/local/ree/bin/starling.
The following dependencies required for installation could not be found:
libruby.so.1.8.7
Please refer the user guide for the list of prerequisites.
Sorry, WebROaR could not be installed on this machine.

# find / -name libruby.so*
(returned no results)

Searched for it in REE sources and nothing there.

How can I solve it? I couldn't compile REE with --enabled-shared flag?

regards,
--
Bruno Guimarães Sousa
www.ifba.edu.br

Dharmarth Shah

Jun 10, 2010, 1:35:20 AM6/10/10
to WebROaR - Ruby Application Server
Bruno,

Please refer:
http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/documentation.html#_rubycocoa_compatibility_and_tt_enable_shared_tt

In our testing, we have installed REE by passing '--enable-shared'
argument to 'installer' script and it has worked for us.

./ruby-enterprise-X.X.X/installer -c --enable-shared

Please let us know, how it goes with you?

Thanks,
Dharmarth

On Jun 10, 2:56 am, Bruno Guimarães Sousa <brgso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Installed ruby enterprise edition 1.8.7-2010.02 and now i'm trying to
> install webroar.
> Don't know where to find the dynamic ruby library (libruby.so) for it. Readhttp://groups.google.com/group/webroar/browse_thread/thread/30502a739...
> none of those solutions worked.
> Here is the error:
> *# webroar install
> Checking for the dependencies ...
> Checking for ruby........found   at /usr/local/ree/bin/ruby.
> Checking for libruby.so.1.8.7........not found.
> Unable to find libruby.so.1.8.7 at /usr/lib.
> Checking for openssl-ruby........found.
> Checking for zlib-ruby........found.
> Checking for ruby_headers........found   at
> /usr/local/ree/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux/ruby.h.
> Checking for rubygems........found.
> Checking for gcc........found   at /usr/bin/gcc.
> Checking for make........found   at /usr/bin/make.
> Checking for libsqlite3.so........found   at /usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.
> Checking for sqlite3.h........found   at /usr/include/sqlite3.h.
> Checking for starling........found   at /usr/local/ree/bin/starling.
> The following dependencies required for installation could not be found:
> libruby.so.1.8.7
> Please refer the user guide for the list of prerequisites.
> Sorry, WebROaR could not be installed on this machine.
>
> # find / -name libruby.so*
> (returned no results)*

Bruno Guimarães Sousa

Jun 10, 2010, 8:13:02 AM6/10/10
to web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
It did work! I had to remove previous instalation, extract source files, recompile it and then it was fine.
I'm just worried about what is said in http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/documentation.html#_rubycocoa_compatibility_and_tt_enable_shared_tt :
"Please note that enabling --enable-shared will make the Ruby interpreter about 20% slower. It is for this reason that we don’t recommend enabling --enable-shared on server environments, although it’s fine for desktop environments."

Is that true?

regards,
--
Bruno Guimarães Sousa
www.ifba.edu.br
PONTONET - DGTI - IFBA
Ciência da Computação UFBA
Registered Linux user #465914

Dharmarth Shah

Jun 11, 2010, 7:08:20 AM6/11/10
to WebROaR - Ruby Application Server
It would be true(as their creator saying it). We haven't benchmarked
it with WebROaR, once we starts supporting static Ruby build(very much
on our top TODO), we would surely do our benchmarks and let you know.

Please do share your experience with WebROaR.

Thanks,
Dharmarth

On Jun 10, 5:13 pm, Bruno Guimarães Sousa <brgso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!
> It did work! I had to remove previous instalation, extract source files,
> recompile it and then it was fine.
> I'm just worried about what is said inhttp://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/documentation.html#_rubycocoa_co...
> *"Please note that enabling --enable-shared will make the Ruby interpreter
> about 20% slower. It is for this reason that we don’t recommend enabling
> --enable-shared on server environments, although it’s fine for desktop
> environments."*
>
> Is that true?
>
> regards,
> --
> Bruno Guimarães Sousawww.ifba.edu.br
> PONTONET - DGTI - IFBA
> Ciência da Computação UFBA
> Registered Linux user #465914
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Dharmarth Shah
> <dharmarth.s...@webroar.in>wrote:
>
> > Bruno,
>
> > Please refer:
>
> >http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/documentation.html#_rubycocoa_co...

Bruno Guimarães Sousa

Jun 11, 2010, 9:21:17 AM6/11/10
to web...@googlegroups.com
Dharmarth,
I don't understand much about the difference between using shared libraries and static Ruby build. Why does WebROaR needs to use those  shared libraries from ruby interpreter ? Are they recompiled somehow?

I'm writing a paper about Rails applications benchmarks. In this paper is been compared different application servers, and how RoR apps would scale with load balancers softwares. As soon as it's done, i'll translate it to english and publish.

regards,
--
Bruno Guimarães Sousa
www.ifba.edu.br
PONTONET - DGTI - IFBA
Ciência da Computação UFBA
Registered Linux user #465914

Dharmarth Shah

Jun 21, 2010, 11:17:22 AM6/21/10
to WebROaR - Ruby Application Server
Bruno,
There was some mistake in embedding Ruby interpreter, which was
causing load path error with static Ruby build. That forced us to use
shared Ruby build. We have committed necessary fixes, and WebROaR
should work with static/dynamic Ruby build. You can checkout latest
code from github and test in your setup.

Please do share your benchmarks methodology and results. We would be
happy to have look on it.

Thanks,
Dharmarth

On Jun 11, 6:21 pm, Bruno Guimarães Sousa <brgso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dharmarth,
> I don't understand much about the difference between using shared libraries
> and static Ruby build. Why does WebROaR needs to use those  shared libraries
> from ruby interpreter ? Are they recompiled somehow?
>
> I'm writing a paper about Rails applications benchmarks. In this paper is
> been compared different application servers, and how RoR apps would scale
> with load balancers softwares. As soon as it's done, i'll translate it to
> english and publish.
>
> regards,
> --
> Bruno Guimarães Sousawww.ifba.edu.br
> PONTONET - DGTI - IFBA
> Ciência da Computação UFBA
> Registered Linux user #465914
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Dharmarth Shah

Dharmarth Shah

Aug 10, 2010, 2:16:11 AM8/10/10
to WebROaR - Ruby Application Server
Bruno,
We have recently released WebROaR v0.4.0, which supports static Ruby
build. Please check out the release announcement for details:

http://webroar.in/blog/2010/8/9/webroar-v0-4-0-supports-static-assets-encoding-and-static-ruby-library

Thanks,
Dharmarth

Bruno Guimarães Sousa