beef up a sample app? which one?

Bill Seitz

May 28, 2012, 9:50:37 AM5/28/12
to web.py
I was thinking about taking a sample/generic app, beefing it up with
lots of stuff from cookbook examples - sessions, user reg/login,
forms, csrf, plus maybe Twitter-Bootstrap-CSS... and having it on
github so it can be improved and kept current, etc.

Would this be of value? Is it redundant, is there already a good rich
sample app? (I've done some looking, haven't found anything including
a user table...)

Which sample app seems best to extend this way? I lean toward blog or
to-do....

Leandro Severino

May 28, 2012, 3:04:38 PM5/28/12
to web.py
I  encourage this idea.

Bill Seitz

May 29, 2012, 9:39:33 PM5/29/12
to web.py
The MLSS app looks like a promising source for snippets, but it has so
much "real" functionality I think it's distracting for training
purposes. So I'm starting from the blog app and adding the cookbook
stuff.

Notes: http://webseitz.fluxent.com/wiki/ExtendingWebpyBlogAppWithCookbookFeatures

GitHub: https://github.com/BillSeitz/webpy-blog-plus

So far just got base functionality working - had to make some tweaks,
probably because I've got it working for SQLite instead of MySQL...

Jason Macgowan

May 29, 2012, 10:31:21 PM5/29/12
to we...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a great idea.  If you make it heavily (but usefully so) commented and expand it into real-world use cases it could be great.

Do you have an idea of what you want this extended app to demonstrate?

Bill Seitz

May 8, 2014, 2:29:37 PM5/8/14
to we...@googlegroups.com
It took awhile, but I finally got around to taking the blog-plus example app and adding the basic core stuff (e.g. auth) that I find necessary in every app I build.

Does this look useful to people?