web.py Friendly Web Hosting?

gregp...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2006, 12:58:19 PM12/16/06
to web.py
Hi all,

My apologies if this has been asked before. Can anyone reccomend some
low costs web hosts that work easily with web.py?

Thanks,

Greg

Kai Hendry

Dec 17, 2006, 4:29:03 PM12/17/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
http://webpy.infogami.com/hosts

I recommend dreamhost.

Best wishes,

Deepak Sarda

Dec 17, 2006, 9:24:00 PM12/17/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
On 12/18/06, Kai Hendry <kai.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://webpy.infogami.com/hosts
>
> I recommend dreamhost.

FWIW, dreamhost recently instituted and/or started enforcing a 100MB
memory usage limit on running processes. This has limited the number
of webpy apps I can run simultaneously under FCGI. I run three web.py
apps and have had to convert them to straight cgi to work around their
limit. The performance hit is okay for me but YMMV.

Interestingly, this limit doesn't apply to Ruby processes. When I
asked them if this was an admission that Ruby on Rails has a sad
deployment story, the response was "Ahem.. =)" ;-)

deepak

--
http://antrix.net/

krypton

Dec 20, 2006, 6:44:15 AM12/20/06
to web.py
go for textdrive

Srinivasan R

Dec 20, 2006, 8:13:21 AM12/20/06
to we...@googlegroups.com

Have anyone tried http://www.nearlyfreespeach.net/

--
Next mail in %d minutes
cnu - http://cnu.livejournal.com

Tom Berger

Dec 20, 2006, 8:18:27 AM12/20/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
On 12/20/06, Srinivasan R <srini...@gmail.com> wrote:
The advertisement mentions CGI, but not FastCGI. Make sure they do support the latter (or an equivalent solution like SCGI or mod_python) before you switch.

Tom

--
http://intellectronica.net/

Shiva KM

Dec 25, 2006, 4:09:18 AM12/25/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
> reccomend some
> low costs web hosts that work easily with web.py?

I'm using symonds.net (actually syminet.com), but they are basically
run by the same guy.

They support FastCGI, which after a little fiddling around works quite
well. The customer support is good as well.

Check 'em out. :)

--
Cheers,
shiva

daltonlp

Dec 26, 2006, 1:20:48 AM12/26/06
to web.py
How did you find out about DH's 100MB limit?

I had a similar experience to yours, but I couldn't find any online
information about how the limit was being imposed, or even what it was.

- Lloyd
http://www.daltonlp.com

Deepak Sarda

Dec 26, 2006, 11:19:28 AM12/26/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
On 12/26/06, daltonlp <dalt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How did you find out about DH's 100MB limit?

I had fcgi processes dying mysteriously - I would have lots of defunct
python processes. I opened a support ticket with DH and after
investigation, they informed me that their process-watcher was killing
my processes. When I asked why, they informed me of the 100 MB limit.

> I had a similar experience to yours, but I couldn't find any online
> information about how the limit was being imposed, or even what it was.

Even I wasn't aware of the limit. I pointed out to DH that my fcgi
stuff was working fine for several months before this started
happening and asked if the limit was newly instituted. They said it
wasn't; it's just that the process-watcher wasn't working correctly on
my server and had been fixed recently.

HTH,

deepak

--
http://antrix.net/

Kai Hendry

Dec 26, 2006, 12:13:16 PM12/26/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
DH policy seems to be affecting django users too:

http://automatthias.wordpress.com/2006/12/01/django-on-dreamhost-incomplete-headers/

Best wishes,

gregp...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2006, 10:24:50 PM12/26/06
to web.py
Ok, I'm still looking for hosts. Here's an email I sent to one hosting
service (http://order.1and1.com) I was looking at. Could you guys tell
me if I'm asking the right things? Is there anything else I should
ask?

-Greg
---------------------
Hi there,

I'm trying to determine if your web hosting services will work for me.
I have some specific questions on your Python support.

What versions of Python you support and how hard the setup is to start
using Python scripts?

Also I want to check that you support FastCGI or an equivalent solution
like SCGI or mod_python?

Are there any other limitations I should be aware of e.g., max memory
size for a process, long running processes, etc?

Finally I'm interested in running one or both of these Python
frameworks if you happen to know if any of your customers have gotten
them running on your servers.

http://webpy.org/
http://www.djangoproject.com/

Thanks,

Srinivasan R

Dec 27, 2006, 9:07:30 AM12/27/06
to we...@googlegroups.com
On 12/27/06, gregp...@gmail.com <gregp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I'm still looking for hosts. Here's an email I sent to one hosting
> service (http://order.1and1.com) I was looking at. Could you guys tell
> me if I'm asking the right things? Is there anything else I should
> ask?

Was on digg a few days back about 1and1 hosting services
http://themulife.com/?p=446

gregp...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2006, 12:56:09 PM12/29/06
to web.py
Here's the response I got from 1 and 1. I don't think I'll go with
them. -Greg

--------------
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately our Shared Hosting server do
not utilize FastCGI's or the other equivalents. For the process and
memory limits, the following below is what is allowed.

Programming Limits:

* CPU : 6 seconds @ 100%
* Memory : 10240KB (10MB)
* Numerical Processes : 12

As for the sites that were given I am not aware of customer using these
types of software in their packages. As long as they can run on a
shared environment and do not require root access they should be able
work with our system.

gregp...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2006, 7:48:55 PM12/29/06
to web.py