Feedback Requested : Location Presets

Rob (rbtwhiz)

Aug 9, 2010, 1:21:53 AM8/9/10
to webos_rbtwhiz
If you've used Fuel v0.9.16, you'll see that I've added the Location
sub menu to the Add Location button in the lower left corner of the
Fueling Event scene; the compass with the plus sign. This sub menu is
the same one displayed in the App Menu under Locations. This was done
to make getting to those options more convenient... which leads me to
the topic of Location Presets.

I've been implementing Location Presets and I've come to a point where
I'd like some feedback...

A Location Preset is global in the sense that it has no dependency on
a particular Vehicle. It consists of a Name, an Address, Latitude,
Longitude and optionally Altitude/Altitude Unit. In order to access a
Location Preset I've added a "Choose a Preset..." and a "Save as
Preset..." entry to the Location sub menu mentioned above. A Name
field (as well as an Address field) has been added to the Location
section of the Fueling Event scene (as well as Reminders/Maintenance,
and Trip Event in Fuel Plus). If this Name field has a value prior to
tapping the "Choose a Preset..." option from the Location sub menu,
the value of the field is used as a filter on the name of Location
Presets (somewhat like the filters in Flame) presented within the list
of a dialog (like the dialog displayed when choosing a spreadsheet for
importing). An empty field causes all Location Presets to be listed.
Consistent with the Import dialog, the list is scrollable, tapping an
item in the list is interpreted as choosing it, and swiping an item
deletes it.

Where I'd like some feedback is... Is the Name filtering enough?
Considering you may have Location Presets for gas stations, service
stations, inspection stations, garages, or any other type of location
(for Trip Events in Fuel Plus). Does filtering on Name alone provide
enough, or should a Location Preset also have a Type that ties it to
the type of record being added/edited? I have my own opinions on the
matter, but I don't want to "lead the witness" as they say, so I'll
keep them to myself until I see what some of you have to say.

So... what say you? What would you like to see?

-Rob

Randy Crete

Aug 9, 2010, 10:24:57 AM8/9/10
to webos_...@googlegroups.com
as a new user i'll give you my "new use" 2 cents. name seems to be
enough when i'm at home. as i plan to travel extensviely with my truck
and 5th wheel camper the day may come when i'm looking for info on a
fill up or service at a location where i don't remember the name. in
that case looking up by category might make things easier. i can see
the day when i have dozens if not hundreds of locations.

thanks

randy

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 22:21 -0700, "Rob (rbtwhiz)" <rbt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> --

Randy Crete
srq...@verizon.net

Rob (rbtwhiz)

Aug 12, 2010, 1:20:39 AM8/12/10
to webos_rbtwhiz
Appreciate the input, Randy. It will definitely be taken into
consideration.

Anyone else have an opinion on the topic that they would like to
offer? Any unique scenarios that you would like some consideration
for? Any not-so-unique scenarios that you would like some
consideration for?

-Rob

On Aug 9, 8:24 am, "Randy Crete" <srq...@verizon.net> wrote:
> as a new user i'll give you my "new use" 2 cents.  name seems to be
> enough when i'm at home.  as i plan to travel extensviely with my truck
> and 5th wheel camper the day may come when i'm looking for info on a
> fill up or service at a location where i don't remember the name.  in
> that case looking up by category might make things easier.  i can see
> the day when i have dozens if not hundreds of locations.
>
> thanks
>
> randy
>
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 22:21 -0700, "Rob (rbtwhiz)" <rbtw...@gmail.com>

deerewright

Sep 12, 2010, 3:07:19 PM9/12/10
to webos_rbtwhiz
I've been anxiously awaiting the location presets. For me I'm not
planning on saving presets for more too many locations, just the
several most common gas stations, etc. So, name would probably be
enough.

On a related note, I would like to be able to enter an address in the
location field, for those instances when I am entering events from an
earlier receipt, and am not at the location. Address conversion to
Lat/Long would be a nice bonus, but not really necessary for my use.

Rob (rbtwhiz)

Sep 12, 2010, 10:40:56 PM9/12/10
to webos_rbtwhiz
The last few weeks have been pretty busy at work, and the "Honey-Do"
list has had several large projects on it, so its been a little slower
going than I'd like... but, I have been able to squeeze in several of
the remaining 1.0 features for the next release; there are still a
couple loose ends that I want to clear up before I finally hang a
"1.0" on it - FWIW "1.0" is when Plus will finally be released. The
Locations feature is one that has been added for the next release; you
can see more of what has made it in so far via the change logs (http://
sites.google.com/site/webosrbtwhiz/change-log).

I'll take a deeper look at the Google Geocoding API (converting an
address to lat/long), now that they claim to have done significant
work on updating/enhancing it, to see if it'll work. I looked at it
previously, but it wasn't quite ready.

Thanks for the input!

-Rob

Rob (rbtwhiz)

Sep 13, 2010, 11:26:30 AM9/13/10
to webos_rbtwhiz
I took another look at the Google Geocoding API (along with the
Elevation API) this morning and it appears they have done as claimed;
they were actually the easiest to use thus far. So, I've added use of
both to the next release.

-Rob