Anybody using a decompiler (JD-Eclipse) successfully with Eclipse/WOLips/Lion?

Ricardo J. Parada

Mar 30, 2012, 7:46:01 PM3/30/12
to WebObjects Development
Hi All,

Is the decompiler working for anybody out there using Eclipse 3.7.2 on OS X Lion v10.7.3.

It has not worked for me for a long time and I had not bothered because I was busy and did not really need it. But now that I want to use it I can figure out why it doesn't work.

I've tried installing Eclipse 3.7.2 (cocoa 64bit version), then WOLips, then JD-eclipse which is the decompiler. I then open a class like EODatabaseContext and it does not show me the source as it used to a while back. I've also tried installing Eclipse/WOLips using Golipse.

Anyways, does anybody have any idea what may be happening?

Thanks,
Ricardo Parada

This email sent to webobjects-dev...@googlegroups.com

Chuck Hill

Mar 30, 2012, 7:56:59 PM3/30/12
to Ricardo J. Parada, WebObjects Development
I gave up and just used the separate JD-GUI app.

--
Chuck Hill Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects

Pascal Robert

Mar 30, 2012, 7:58:48 PM3/30/12
to Ricardo J. Parada, WebObjects Development
Didn't try inside Eclipse, but Jad by command line works fine for me.

> Hi All,
>
> Is the decompiler working for anybody out there using Eclipse 3.7.2 on OS X Lion v10.7.3.
>
> It has not worked for me for a long time and I had not bothered because I was busy and did not really need it. But now that I want to use it I can figure out why it doesn't work.
>
> I've tried installing Eclipse 3.7.2 (cocoa 64bit version), then WOLips, then JD-eclipse which is the decompiler. I then open a class like EODatabaseContext and it does not show me the source as it used to a while back. I've also tried installing Eclipse/WOLips using Golipse.
>
> Anyways, does anybody have any idea what may be happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricardo Parada

> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/probert%40macti.ca
>
> This email sent to pro...@macti.ca

Mar 30, 2012, 8:18:48 PM3/30/12
to Ricardo J. Parada, WebObjects Development
I have used it occasionally, but only the standalone version, I never got the eclipse plugin to work properly. JD is useful for preserving generics, and some exception handling, but I have had bad experiences with it in the past generating bad code (ie, completely wrong), bad var assignments, inverted boolean logic etc.

I still prefer to use jad in the first instance.

On 31/03/2012, at 9:46 AM, Ricardo J. Parada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is the decompiler working for anybody out there using Eclipse 3.7.2 on OS X Lion v10.7.3.
>
> It has not worked for me for a long time and I had not bothered because I was busy and did not really need it. But now that I want to use it I can figure out why it doesn't work.
>
> I've tried installing Eclipse 3.7.2 (cocoa 64bit version), then WOLips, then JD-eclipse which is the decompiler. I then open a class like EODatabaseContext and it does not show me the source as it used to a while back. I've also tried installing Eclipse/WOLips using Golipse.
>
> Anyways, does anybody have any idea what may be happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricardo Parada

> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/qdolan%40gmail.com
>
> This email sent to qdo...@gmail.com

Henrique Prange

Mar 30, 2012, 8:19:22 PM3/30/12
to Ricardo J. Parada, WebObjects Development
Hi Ricardo,

Check the File Associations preference. The JD-Eclipse Class File Editor is the default option to open *.class files?

Cheers,

Henrique

On 30/03/2012, at 20:46, Ricardo J. Parada wrote:

Hi All,

Is the decompiler working for anybody out there using Eclipse 3.7.2 on OS X Lion v10.7.3.

It has not worked for me for a long time and I had not bothered because I was busy and did not really need it.  But now that I want to use it I can figure out why it doesn't work.

I've tried installing Eclipse 3.7.2 (cocoa 64bit version), then WOLips, then JD-eclipse which is the decompiler.  I then open a class like EODatabaseContext and it does not show me the source as it used to a while back.  I've also tried installing Eclipse/WOLips using Golipse.

Anyways, does anybody have any idea what may be happening?

Thanks,
Ricardo Parada

Miguel Arroz

Mar 30, 2012, 8:57:08 PM3/30/12
to Ricardo J. Parada, WebObjects Development
Hi,

I have JAD working from Eclipse 3.7.1 on Lion. Doesn't help much, but at least you know it can be done. :) Make sure, in Eclipse preferences, that the plugin is pointing to the JAD executable.

Regards,

Miguel Arroz

On 2012-03-30, at 4:46 PM, Ricardo J. Parada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is the decompiler working for anybody out there using Eclipse 3.7.2 on OS X Lion v10.7.3.
>
> It has not worked for me for a long time and I had not bothered because I was busy and did not really need it. But now that I want to use it I can figure out why it doesn't work.
>
> I've tried installing Eclipse 3.7.2 (cocoa 64bit version), then WOLips, then JD-eclipse which is the decompiler. I then open a class like EODatabaseContext and it does not show me the source as it used to a while back. I've also tried installing Eclipse/WOLips using Golipse.
>
> Anyways, does anybody have any idea what may be happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricardo Parada

> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/arroz%40guiamac.com
>
> This email sent to ar...@guiamac.com

Ricardo J. Parada

Mar 30, 2012, 9:02:32 PM3/30/12
to Henrique Prange, WebObjects Development
Thanks Henrique, that did it!

I clicked on the *.class file type and the clicked on JadClipse Class File Viewer in the Associated editors and then clicked the Default button to make it the default.  And that seems to work.

Big Thanks!!
Ricardo Parada

On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:19 PM, Henrique Prange wrote:

Hi Ricardo,

Check the File Associations preference. The JD-Eclipse Class File Editor is the default option to open *.class files?

Cheers,

Henrique
<jd-eclipse.png>

Johann Werner

Mar 31, 2012, 2:32:24 AM3/31/12
to Ricardo J. Parada, WebObjects Development
If you are using JD-Eclipse you should really consider adding the Realignment for JD-Eclipse plugin [1]. This makes debugging decompiled code much less painful.

jw