ERPDFGeneration with FOP and examples

Larry Mills-Gahl

Mar 30, 2012, 2:21:29 PM3/30/12
to webobje...@lists.apple.com

I have been refactoring some of the pdf generation in a couple apps and have tried to make it work with ERPDFGeneration.
I wrote a quick app exercising the new bits and the existing ERPDFWrapper to avoid breaking anything and I put up an instance of that at https://www.vasc-alert.com/VA/WebObjects/ERPDFExamples

The example application exercises the basic use of ERPDFWrapper (basic usage ), the use of FOP to transform html, the use of FOP to transform xml and combining pdfs generated with different wrappers in ERPDFGeneration.

The code is available on my fork at github. (https://github.com/elemgee/wonder) I put ERPDFExamples in Examples/Misc on my fork.
I confess that I have not moved all of my stuff to git yet, so I still have subversion-hassle-implementation-trauma affecting my thinking.

I'm going to go over Pascal's podcast on contributions and organization before submitting a pull request, but since I've already opened myself up for ridicule on the git issue, I'd like to get some feedback on code. I've tried to conform to the organization and design that was already part of ERPDFGeneration. I am still digging through some of the things that I don't understand so if I've made mistakes in any part of the design or implementation, please have at it.

Thanks for Q Dolans podcast PDF in 60 seconds (http://idisk.mac.com/qdolan-Public/webobjects/PDFIn60Seconds.mov) and all the contributors to ERPDFGeneration.

Larry Mills-Gahl

David Holt

Mar 30, 2012, 2:28:25 PM3/30/12
to Larry Mills-Gahl, webobje...@lists.apple.com
Nice!

Thanks for sharing.

David

This email sent to program...@mac.com

Pascal Robert

Mar 30, 2012, 2:43:24 PM3/30/12
to Larry Mills-Gahl, webobje...@lists.apple.com
Hi Larry,

Looks good to me! A couple of observations:

- You need to add a .gitignore file in the project so that the content of build/ and bin/ is not committed in Git (if you use eGit in Eclipse, right click on the build folder and select Team -> Ignore).

- When adding a new project to Wonder, you need to add it to the Ant build files, in Build/build/build.xml

You need something like this:

<target name="ERPDFExamples.all">
<antcall target="global.application.${build.action}" >
<param name="project.principal.class" value="er.pdfexamples.Application" />
<param name="project.name" value="ERPDFExamples" />
<param name="project.dir" value="Examples/Misc/ERPDFExamples.all" />
<param name="wo.system.root.bundles" value="${frameworks.system.core}" />
<param name="wo.external.root.bundles" value="${frameworks.wonder.core}/ERPDFGeneration" />
</antcall>
</target>

And in the examples.all target (<target name="examples.all", near the end of the file), add ERPDFExamples.all

After you done that, build Wonder (ant examples) and check if your new app have been built like the other examples

- If your example is using a database, it should be set to H2 by default, so that people don't need something else to run it.

Don't worry if it's not perfect, it will be committed into the integration branch and built by Jenkins, so if a problem is coming up, I will fix it.

> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/probert%40macti.ca
>
> This email sent to pro...@macti.ca

https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/webobjects-dev-garchive-31333%40googlegroups.com

This email sent to webobjects-dev...@googlegroups.com

Ted Archibald

Mar 30, 2012, 3:05:33 PM3/30/12
to Pascal Robert, webobje...@lists.apple.com
Pascal, is this info posted anywhere else (wiki?).  It's exactly the type of info I'd be looking for as a contributing noob.

Pascal Robert

Mar 30, 2012, 4:02:27 PM3/30/12
to Ted Archibald, webobje...@lists.apple.com
Anyone is free to add it to the wiki.

Ted Archibald

Mar 30, 2012, 10:55:12 PM3/30/12
to Pascal Robert, webobje...@lists.apple.com
I wouldd do it but I can't log in to the wiki, I go in an endless loop having to fill out capchas when I try logging in.