Redirecting HTTPS to HTTP

Paul

Nov 24, 2006, 7:11:21 AM11/24/06
Hello all,

The company I work for used to have their website accessible on both
HTTP and HTTPS. We've moved servers from the original host. It's come
to our attention that some people are linking to HTTPS pages and these
are now dead links.

I've set up a test server in the office with the latest version of
Fedora 6, and have been testing out a suggested solution from a search
on Google, using .htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^443$
RewriteRule (.*) http://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [R=301,L]

This should, in theory, forward any requests using HTTPS (port 443) to
the HTTP address. What actually happens is I get a few "invalid
certificate" messages, and then it shows the page on HTTPS!

If this makes sense, and anyone has any idea what I might be doing
wrong, I'd appreciate some help on the matter :)

Thanks!

Paul